'63-'68 Miller Meteor rear loading door glass ID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '63-'68 Miller Meteor rear loading door glass ID

Already covered '59-'62 MM rear loading door glass and compared it to '63-'64 MM and '59-'64 Superior last summer.

Over the weekend I hit another yard and pulled more glass. You all benefit by having more cold hard facts to file away, never before published/online.

Now here is '63-'64 MM glass laying directly on top of '65-'68 MM glass:

Whoa! That looks pretty close, doesn't it..? Here's a close up of a lower corner, top and side edges match up. '65-'68 is a scant 1/4" taller.

Curvature is very very close (more on this shortly). Specifics:

'63-'64 MM - 15.5"H x 38.75"L (top), 41.5" (bottom)
    '65-'68 MM - 15.75"H x 38.75"L (top), 41.5" (bottom)

Why Miller Meteor made such a minute adjustment in '65 is puzzling.

Took more pics for further comparison.

'63-'64 glass in '65-'68 frame, then '65-'68 glass in frame (from backside).

Closer, end shot, same order.

Lastly a corner close up. Again, same order.

Glass was perfectly centered for pics. Ends fit same with a 1/4" gap from glass to frame. '65-'68 glass has a 5/16" gap top and bottom; '63-'64 has a 7/16" gap.

One other item I noticed laying both pieces of glass in frame is their crowns. Left to right, '63-'64 has ever-so-slightly more curvature than '65-'68. Enough to say the same mold was not modified/used later; not enough to accurately measure. Each end of '63-'64 glass was 3/16"-5/16" above frame when resting on floor. When frame was raised off floor and became load bearing, glass seated itself as well as '65-'68 on floor.

Now I failed to take close up pics previous to removal on either but there was window rubber and caulking used conjointly sucking up space. Given all the measurements, I fail to see how these would not be interchangeable.

Comment

Wow. Thank you for the research Mr. Atti. You're exactly right that that kind of information can prove invaluable to someone who might not have access to such vehicles in person. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
      X