leaking rear wheel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• leaking rear wheel

Sunday at the cemetery we noticed an oily fluid coming fromm the rear passenger wheel in Christine's hearse. Phillip and chris said its possibly gear oil. It looked line it was coming from the back of the wheel and not the pumpkin. Didn't gear any strange noises going to or from.
    Sounds like a bitch to fix. Anyone locally know what this might be and able to fix it. Christine wants somebody she can trust to do the work and we are willing to pay for a job done right.

wheel cylinder for brakes? was it brake fluid?? or could be outer axle seal. that will let out stinky gear oil. smell the fluid of it stinks really bad its gear oil, brake fluid doesnt small that bad, the grear oil makes me feel physically sick the smell of it tho.

Comment

Neither repair is out of the ordinary. Its a problem that happens to all makes & models. Any shop that she trusts can do the repair.

Comment

ya sometimes the axles get a groove in them and eat oil seals, not sure about hearse axles tho, im pretty sure they are the same design tho. they can be sleeved sometimes or have a offset seal.

Comment

We took her to a local shop that has done work for us before. Took less than a day and only charged around $78 for the repair. And it was an axle seal.
          Last edited by HearseHaunter; 04-03-2012, 08:11 PM.

Comment

im a lucky guesser sometimes, ive had just about everything that can fail on a vehicle fail on me so i got educated guesses tho.

Comment

Did they replace just the seal or the bearing too?
              If they only replaced the seal it will leak again.

Comment

Why do you say it will leak again?

Comment

Every time I have ever seen someone only replace the seal they leaked again, because the bearing is usually worn down causing the axle to ride on the seal.

Comment

Working...
                  X