carter afb carb kit recomendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• carter afb carb kit recomendations?

i got the carb off my 64 and was thinking about heading to napa and getting a rebuild kit, anyone know a good kit number or something for these? also have the water tube off the front and will need them gaskets if anyone has some part numbers, or a better source online i could order the stuff.

Thanks

i think its the original carter afb.

Get new metering rods & jets. They wear out. The gaskets will be an item in their computer.

Comment

Originally posted by pyro View Post
      Get new metering rods & jets. They wear out. The gaskets will be an item in their computer.
      i should just stick with the same size jets i assume. is there different size metering rods?

Comment

The jets will have numbers on them, and the metering rods will have numbers on them too. I would stick with the same size.

Comment

i will probably just clean them up with berrymens chemtool.

Comment

wow ordered a kit, but then found that isolator is $$$$$ gonna try to repair mine

Comment

I chased a lean condition for damn near a year, till I found the metering rods were worn where they went into the power pistons. Cheap insurance for a good running carb.

Comment

i will hunt some down in town after my kit comes in the mail and i inspect them. a wore jet would make a rich condition. unless its plugged and thats easy to tell. metering rod, isnt that the 2 rods with holes in them? or are they the rods that go up and down in a jet? its been a while since i worked on a car carb

Comment

The metering rods move up and down in the jets.

Comment

I went through two NAPA rebuild kits and 5 different sets of metering rods, springs and jets with my carter afb and it never was right. I just broke down and bought an Edelbrock performer 600 CFM and it runs like a champ now. Good luck with your rebuild!

Comment

is the edelbrock performer the same mounting on the intake? i got one on my other car i could use. can only drive one at a time anyhow. its the 1406 performer. would i be able to leave the isolator off with the edelbrock? what year did you put it on? and what carb number did u use?

Comment

I have rebuilt several 63 & 64 Carters with great sucsess. Had one that would not idle, so thats my test carb for a new to me motor. If you run the edelbrock, use a spacer for heat control. The exhaust gas passages in the intake manifold will need to be plugged, and an overdrive adsptor will need to be fabricted. The edelbrock will bbolt right up too. The original air cleaner will not mate to the edelbrock.

Comment

I used a 1406 on my 390, it fit right on but I had to mess with the linkage quite a bit for it to work properly. I blocked off the exhaust port on the intake with a gasket.

Comment

well mines rebuilt and installed, still need to get a different hot choke since mine was corodded solid and missing the cover and spring or just run a cable to make it manual.

i could only get one jet out the rest i clean in place. the float seats were also so coroded in place i about destroyed them, ended up having to go to vice grips! i think next time i pull this carb apart im gonna soak it in my 5 gal bucket of berrymans chemtool for a week. anyhow its all back togeather... the bowls had a buncha yuk in them and the accelerator pump was pretty bad. i dont know how it idled so good before.

Comment

I have parts to get the choke working. The old system works great.

Comment

Working...
                              X