Engine Swap Advice Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine Swap Advice Needed

I have an 87 Cadillac Brougham hearse with the Oldsmobile 307 engine. I have several 350 Chevy engines left over from when I used to race. I am going to do a engine swap and put a 350 in my hearse and I was wondering if there was anything like driveshaft length that I need to address. It looks like the 350 will set further toward the front of the car but im not sure. Has anyone done this swap?

I havnt done this swap into a hearse, but I did do a 350 swap into my nissan hardbody. Due to the motor mount location on the block it set the motor way forward in the frame. Summit racing has many motor mountas that move the motor back for forward depending on what you wish to do. They dont cost that much and you may even beable to make them if you take more time with it. Im sure you know what your doing but the best way to find out is to mount your trans to your motor, hang it in place in the car and measure to see how far off you are going to be.

Comment

How do you intend to go about the swap? A BOP to corporate bellhousing adapter removes the need for any manner of adjustment from the transmission on back. That includes the driveshaft. The motor mounts might not line up but that is a simple matter to address.

Comment

Engine swaps are never as straight forward as you think.

Comment

Engine swaps can be a pain in the butt I know. I just don't want to have to get a driveshaft cut. Thats mainly what I was worried about.

Comment

When I put the 383 stroker in, the drive shaft cut was one of the easier things. Besides, it was a good time to replace the u-joints. Some of the harder things were exhaust, (the drivers header was hand fabbed) converting to a front sump oil system, transmission crossmember, and engine mounts.

Comment

Originally posted by BIGEVIL View Post
              Engine swaps are never as straight forward as you think.
              I wasn't implying that they were as I've done more than a few. Just that going from a GM engine to a buick style transmission isn't uncommon and if he did that with a bop-corporate adapter, there would be no hassles with the driveshaft. The rest you really can't know until you're bumping parts into one another but none of it is insurmountable.

Comment

BigEvil knows what He's talking about and so does Dickey. It's all about how You approach it. I did a few swaps in My time too. It's always easier putting back what came out. My latest project, I was determined Not to alter the length of the driveshaft. Was not that hard but a lot of time and effort getting everything working together. No regrets on this one. Other than a yoke swap, the origional 429/jetaway will bolt right back in. Nothing was altered to where it could not go back origional.100_0314.jpg

Comment

I put a 350/350 turbo in my 1980 Coupe Deville racecar, the moroso solid motor mounts and tranny mount matched up to factory holes in the frame and crossmember. 66 chevy truck center dump exhaust fit with how the motor sat, had to put a 1/4 inch spacer on the passenger side motor mount to fit stock fuel pump, because I couldn't run a performance one, but I think some of them are shorter.003.JPG002.JPGTransmission was a 200r4, so driveline matched without cutting or different yoke.

Comment

swaps are usually pretty straight forward, its making them look factory thats the trick

Comment

Originally posted by Haroldfromhell View Post
                      I put a 350/350 turbo in my 1980 Coupe Deville racecar, the moroso solid motor mounts and tranny mount matched up to factory holes in the frame and crossmember. 66 chevy truck center dump exhaust fit with how the motor sat, had to put a 1/4 inch spacer on the passenger side motor mount to fit stock fuel pump, because I couldn't run a performance one, but I think some of them are shorter.[ATTACH=CONFIG]11758[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]11759[/ATTACH]Transmission was a 200r4, so driveline matched without cutting or different yoke.
                      Is it true that 200-4r transmissions are drilled for both GM Corporate and BOP bellhousing patterns?

Comment

My 200-4r does have both bolt patterns.

Comment

Working...
                        X