tires stock type

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tires stock type

I have some wore out bf goodrich lifesaver tires on the hearse, looking for some new 15 tires.

would like some strong ones. the ones on it are just radials, wonder if i should get some e rated tires..

You can check tires available, they all have a recommended weight rating listed on the sidewall. There are "extra load" tires available in radial or you can go with an 8-ply bias tire but in my years of driving coaches i've never had a problem running a standard passenger car tire on all my coaches.
    Sizing is important, and your '64 probably had an 890 x 15 bias tire originally, which is quite a bit taller tire than a modern 235-75-15 tire (largest diameter standard radial). I run a 225-70-15 or 235-70-15 on the front and a 255-70-15 on the back of my coaches, it's a white-letter-radial that really fills out the quarter panel and handles great, however on a couple I have had to trim the fender skirts inner lip for clearance.
    The '66 Superior ambulance required no cutting...

Same size tire on my 1951 Superior, fender skirt inner lip trimmed...

Same size tire on my 1964 Chevy-Pinner service car without skirts...

I need to say at this point the 255-70-15 is the largest 15" radial you can buy and NOT have clearance issues. On my 1980 S&S clearance was so close it made me nervous but they never rubbed (and I had the load-leveling system tricked to ride higher than stock)

Comment

i've always run standard radials as well, I believe Psychoholic has also. I run 235/75/15 up front and 255-70-15 in the rear....looks great on the back of the car.....never any clearance or weight handling issues

Comment

Working...
      X