Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for late 1950's to early 1960's hearse..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for late 1950's to early 1960's hearse..

Hello, I'm looking for a nice late 50's to early 60's Hearse. Car should be running and driving with really nice interior, maybe needing some cosmetic restoration in the form of paint work only. Must be rust free...or nearly rust free considering the age/condition.

I'm not looking for an extremely rare model, but one that can be used for a friends Mortuary service and is reliable with just some tune up and cosmetic restoration.

No basket cases or full resto's please, and nothing before 1954 or later than 1965.

Models are not a mojor concern. Cadillac, Buick, Lincoln, Chrysler, etc. are all considered, but are limited to budget.

Thanks
    chris
    chrispy1971gtx@ya h oo.com

or 816-seven-two-six-45-one-two.

You're looking for a needle in a haystack given all those parameters, plus facing an expensive proposition no matter which way it is viewed.

Forget '59 right now - and probably '60 too. Erase those from your mind. '61-'64 is more of a possibility on a budget than '54-'58. '50s coaches have seen a steady increase on prices. There is nothing (and I mean nothing) in the '54-'64 year range that isn't going to need work unless you're paying the price. NHAA member pyro has a restored '63 MM available, maybe he'll chime in. Then plan on lots of upkeep as well. Also figure in a decent shipping budget if you want something rust free or close to it. NM, AZ, SW corner of CO, high plateau of Pacific NW, etc. will yield best cars.

(Yes, I read nothing later than '65 but that's when an entirely new body style with stacked headlights, less curves, and more angles debuted. So for argument's sake I'll assume you aren't looking for that.)

When you say hearse, are both limo and landau style acceptable?
    Last edited by 60Crown; 04-27-2013, 10:46 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the note Atti. I do have a 63 Cadillac M&M Combo. Been taken down to bare metal, all rust removed. Full paint, interior is new, but needs the rear floor covered still. New glass. Lots of new or reworked parts all over the coach. Brake system is all reworked. New leaf springs, resealed diff, drive shaft rebuilt, top end and front end of motor rebuilt. New rear main seal on the engine. Good running motor.

Im not giving it away, and I dont have any emotional attachments to it. Just hard long work and lots of sales reciepts. Price is 17,000 obo

Go to my web site www.1963caddyshack.com for more info and pics.

Comment

Yea, I'm sure I am. I have a friend in New Zealand who is looking for one for his funeral business. He gave me the specifics and have just now started looking. Neither of us are familiar with the value and rareness of some of the models, so were going to get a good education...and maybe shock from it all.

I figured 59's and 60's to be out of the budget. I did find, from an add here, a 64 Caddy that is within an reasonable budget and condition. I figured this site was a good place to start to find any leads and educating myself on what to look for.

As far as Limo or Landau verions, I'm not familiar with them, so please fill me in on that. Sourthern cars are best, obviously, and shipping to midwest to me...or directly to LA or Houston port...is an already calculated cost.

All positive help/info is greatly appreciated.

Chris

Comment

I will also add the LED tail light conversion kit, in with the sale. I had them made specificaly for the 63 Cadillac.

Comment

Thanks for the link. I forwarded to my buddy and hopefully he will become a member on here. Though he's not computer savvy.... Thats a nice restoration on the 63 caddy BTW!

Comment

Landau has closed C to D pillar and a more formal look. Can have rear corner windows depending on coach builder and model.

Limo style has windows all the way around. Most have rear corner windows - but not all. Some have removable landau panels that fit over rear side windows.

Comment

If your friend in NZ wants a hearse, I'd probably recommend Landau, Since 95% Coaches in Australia and NZ are Limo Style. Basically in simple, Landau Style usually has a vynl roof, or just painted, The rear windows are Blacked out, And also have S shape mouldings on the side, You should know what i mean. Limo Style is just like what we have over here, Windows all the way around the parimiter of the hearse. However usually have full doors, like a really large wagon, Unlike the Hearses in Australia/nz - With one single window down the whole side and small doors for storage under the Windows.
                If you're keen on importing a Coach to Nz i can forward you my Uncles importation company.
                Far as body makers go, I generally noticed Superior and Miller Meteor seem to be the most common.. But again, It's all luck and chance with what you may find. Good luck.

Comment

...Timing eh?

Comment

I do work with a good auto transport company. Im in Arizona, so shipping the Cali will be no problem.

Comment

@ Weirdo, yes we would be interested on the port info in NZ. I've sent several cars over, but my buddy in NZ always took care of the shipping. Cost from midwest to LA is somewhere in the range of 1500 US, then the cost from LA to NZ port in Auckland I think, which is near where he lives...is round another 3500 US.

My dad just sold a 50 chevy truck to England and the cost to ship it to Houston was 900. So its a big savings to the buyer to go south to Houston from Missouri if the car with me.

I have a 69 Charger going over early next year for my friends son. A non running project, so we're looking for a cost effective shipper.

Comment

More than likely, I'll probably have to have the car sent to me anyways because they would like to ship other car parts within the hearse. It would be foolish not to utilize the extra space, as the last car I sent was filled to the brim with charger parts..LOL.

Comment

Martin Rousseau for ALL open shipping needs. I've brought him up numerous times before but you've just newly registered. Forget name of company (American LTD?) but bonded, licensed, insured, etc. Martin is based out of CO and offers economical personalized service. He uses a heavy duty 20-22' trailer and pulls with a 3/4 or 1 ton van, utilizing van space for motorcycles, etc. on same runs. I believe he is still charging .75/mile. InOp and oversize don't phase him nor adversely affect price.

Martin Rousseau

Tell him Attila referred you. Because he stays busy, it could take 6-8 weeks to schedule a transport. Martin has handled @ least 10 coaches in last few years starting with transporting a '58 Superior flower car for me.

Comment

Working...
                          X