New here- hoping to find a hearse in Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New here- hoping to find a hearse in Texas

Hoping that I post this in the right place and everything. Any advice is appreciated.
    My husband and I are looking for a hearse.. This will be our first time buying one. It would be his everyday vehicle, but he works from home so we don't plan on racking up miles too quickly or anything.
    We have two problems looking for a hearse. One is, I really have no idea what problems to look out for (mechanically or otherwise) so when I see a posting on craigslist or what have you I'm not always sure if it's a good deal or even a good vehicle.
    The other problem is we live in the middle of nowhere- the Rio Grande Valley, to be specific.
    Right now we could travel to San Antonio, Houston, or Austin at the farthest. If there was an awesome bargain out there I might eventually be able to get off of work long enough to go to Dallas.
    We are willing to spend up to $4,000 if the miles are pretty low and if there aren't any major repairs needed.
    My father in law is looking at one in Spring for us on Wednesday, since the owner hasn't emailed me any more pictures. We tried getting in touch with someone in Houston that had posted an ad but their phone was disconnected. I saw another one in San Antonio, but they removed the posting before I got to call. So... I don't have my hopes up for any of those.

So yeah I figure its a long shot that we would find a hearse near us on this site, but I would really love to know what questions I should be asking and what I should look for in a vehicle when I do get to see one.
    Anyone know if there are special laws or regulations for driving hearses in Texas? Do they register as commercial vehicles, or does that not apply to antiques? (the models we have seen have been mostly from the 70s and early 80s).
    (Yeah I'm a total n00b. Sorry.)

None of my coaches were registered as commercial vehicles when in Austin.

As far as advice in that year range, if looking at downsized coaches, try sticking '77-'79 or '87-'92 RWD. With some digging you should be able to find a '93-'96 for $4k, which is a much better option due to LS1/LT1, parts availability, drivability, and fuel mileage. (I've come close to touching 23mpg in my latest '96.) '93-'96 are also last of the big RWD.

Any '76 or older would be a better investment than '77-'92. Trade offs being more upkeep for regular usage and poorer fuel consumption.

Comment

Working...
    X