Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 56 - 59 Cadillac Ambulance wanted

Hey Everyone!!

I'm new here..........my name is James..........I live in Colorado.
    I'm primarily a producer/seller of resin, vinyl, and plastic Sci-Fi, Horror, Fantasy model kits.

I once owned a 1958 Plymouth Fury..very much like "Christine"........awesome condition, Ran and drove great!...........was forced to sell it years ago.

Always had a soft spot for old style Ambulance/Hearse cars like the Ghostbusters.
    Would love to acquire one and restore it to driving condition!

So, I guess you could say that I'm in the market, and looking.

So, I would love to get any tips. suggestions, advice, how hard are parts to get..............or anything you might think would be relevant to a newbee like myself.

So, drop me an email or something and talk to me.

kitkong1@comcast.net

Thanks!!!

---------kitkong

I could give you advice all day long, but it will be easier to refer you to the local guru of procars and Colorado:

www.hearseclub.com

Zach can give you advice on where to look locally. As for something relevant to what you are looking for...

Recently a 1959 Cadillac Miller Meteor Landau hearse with rust to the belt line and needing a whole complete other car to steal parts from to be in good enough shape to be a lawn ornament went for over $10,000. Got that kind of money? Realistically, if you want a 1959 Cadillac hearse, start saving at least $20,000 to buy a running one that needs most everything done to it. I may be exagerating a bit, but not much... Now if you are willing to settle for something a few years on either side of 1959, you can get a running/driving one for around $4-$8,000. But I warn you, body parts are nigh impossible to find if you have an income under $50k...

Comment

Thank you Sir!!

I completely understand the value of the 59s, and their parts,....so, with that, I'm aware of how much money I could be getting into.

Having previously owned the "Christine" model Plymouth, I got a crash course in the value of parts, on or off a vehicle.

I would love to hear all the advice you could give me.

I've looking at a vehicle hear, but since my knowledge of Cadillac Ambulance/Hearse vehicle is embryonic at beast, I could use all the help I can get.

Let me start by asking a simple question..........are trim parts (chrome or otherwise) difficult to obtain,.........or more difficult to obtain with a specific year/model?

What about door skins,....or a whole door itself?

-------kitkong

Comment

Don't call me sir... the other guys will laugh at me...

As long as the financing is there, I say go for it!

"Embryonic" huh? Using the $5 words here will get you appreciated or lambasted depending on who gets to you first

The simple answer to your simple qustion is, depends on the car. If you are talking Cadillac Commercial Chassis, then be prepared for a hunt to find the right contour/length as every coach builder made custom parts from the windshield back... Rarely if ever will the coachbuilt parts interchange between builders.

Comment

You like that......."Embryonic"..............I thought it was pretty clever myself.

I talk like that on a frequent basis, so let the roasting begin.

I guess bottom line in that I found a 56 Cad. Ambulance I like, but the guy wants more than I think its worth, but I know so little about the value of such vehicles, specifically 56 caddys, ambulance or otherwise.

Like most vehicles of that age, unless kept in a hermetically sealed environment, its gonna need work,.......and this one certainly needs help.

It seem to be all there, but nothing works, and its gonna take money and a few pieces parts.

So, I'm at a loss as to decide what to do, based solely on a "rare/collector" stand point.

Should I let it go, hoping that's it not as rare as I think, and wait till I find another......maybe in better shape,..............or, should I dive in head first?

Granted, you probably haven't seen the vehicle, but do you have any Thoughts/advice?

--------kitkong

Comment

In the end only you can decide ifit is worth it to you. (where's my smokey the bear hat?) For what it is worth, do you have pics and a price? Chances are that someone here has already seen it and can advise you on why. If they haven't, we might be able to give you a collective opinion on it...

Comment

This is the link...........

Oldride offers classic car/truck classifieds, parts, sales, & purchases. Find your vintage vehicle here!

As I said, I've seen the vehicle.

Looks ok,....needs work......but again, what old vintage car doesn't?

------kitkong

Comment

If you parted that coach out, you could get 22 hun for all the rear bumper parts alone. I know, I have a 54...

Comment

Hmmmmmm,...that's very interesting.

I did not know that.

Comment

I've drooled over that car before, but I'm a lousy mechanic, and I wouldn't know where to begin.

That being said, if I had the knowhow, I would have brought that car home long ago. Yes, some parts are going to be rough to find, but it's not impossible.

Comment

So, you've seen the car?!

The 56' we're talking about here.......right?

Well,......tell me what you think, or thought about it............I'd love to know!

-------kitkong

Comment

I've only ever seen pictures. That same location has a few old coaches, ambulances and combos in similar condition. I don't know any more than you do which is just what we can see from the pictures... It's got potential.

I bought my first coach simply assuming that it didn't have an engine or drivetrain. I was happily mistaken, and a carb rebuild, new plugs, a couple of new hoses and various other bits of tinkering put her back on the road.

It comes down to how much of a project you think you can handle. My current coach was purchased in running condition, and my goal is to keep her that way. Someday I may get myself into another non-running coach, but at this point I just can't handle it. If you can, that's awesome! I would even be willing to lend a hand on occasion. I don't know much, but I know which direction to turn the wrench.

Comment

Well, Thank you TWHAwk!!!

I may just take you up on that!!

I'm gonna go up and take another look at it on Sunday........assuming its still there.......maybe take some photos, bo over the trim and body...........I know the drive train is a goner, but then again........what do you expect.

I don't know much either, but having previously owned a 1958 Plymouth Fury, and several Barracudas,.....along with producing & building model kits for a living.........I kinda look at it as a big giant model kit............that needs parts..........

At any rate,.........thanx for your incite, and love to have your help

-------kitkong

Comment

Should still be there... I think I saw that one several months ago...

Comment

You still looking??

Sent an email??? May know of a few.

Comment

Working...
                              X