A/C compressor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A/C compressor

Mine totally seized up and took 2 of the belts with it. The mechanic is checking to see if any metal was blown through the system. If there is none, I will want another a/c compressor if someone has one to sell. If he finds metal in it, I'll likely get something to take the place of it for the pulley means. But I am trying to be proactive on this in case we are a go for the a/c system. Its for a 72 Caddy Brougham or Fleetwood (I think they have most of the same components and parts) with a 472 engine.

I have 2 AC compressors on my shelf in the garage. Both off 500 cid engines. The pulley is a single belt. If you need one, let me know.
    Last edited by kaptinkaos; 04-04-2009, 08:05 PM. Reason: Can't spell

Comment

Thanks. Unfortunately I have a double belted pulley I would need. I guess because its so heavy duty, it needs 2 belts to run off the water pump and run the compressor and steering pump. Thanks for the heads up though!

Comment

This might save you some aggravation: the clutches are NOT interchangeable between the single and double groove clutches. You are correct in that you need a double-groove compressor and clutch. I suggest a rebuilt one...used compressors are usually junk.

Also, the receiver/drier will have to be replaced, and the system flushed and purged before servicing. If your mechanic doesn't know that, take it to an A/C shop instead.

-denise

Comment

Thanks Denise. After talking to a friend of mine that works for a Napa affiliate and the mechanic, those measures are already in the works. I rebuilt one, I was told, will only cost me $175 and with all the materials needed to flush it out and replace the dryer, it would be $240. So its worth the effort to have it done. Should hopefully be done in the next couple of weeks when the mechanic gets to it. Then I can work on getting the dual exhaust with igniters

Comment

Working...
          X