Buying my First hearse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying my First hearse

I frequently search through the endless feeds of used cars on craigslist, (mainly looking for a truck or van so I can haul all my music equipment in.) Anyway, I came across a 1987 Oldsmobile Delta 88 that was converted into a hearse by the Eureka coach Company. It is listed as $1200 and when I went to look at it, there was only a few problems. Because it is a Hearse, I do not know what it would take to fix the problems, so I figured I as on a forum like this. What I would like to know is that if it would be a decent buy, and to get the problems fixed how much on an estimate would it take something like this fixed? Something I should also mention is that this would most likely double as my first vehicle.

Thank You!
    ~Erick

http://lancaster.craigslist.org/cto/2507820531.html

The 3.8 is pretty good engine. Probably under powered for a hearse though. Considering the lack of care it seems to have had a tune-up would probably straighten it out. Silicone would at least stop the leaking. The metal welded in as an area of concern. It has to be solid and it has to be painted over or it's just going to rust again.

Comment

The Rust on the bottom is the main thing that concerns me, and that may be the priciest. If I could haggle him down to $800 or $1000 would it be a better option? Besides that and the engine problem,which since it has a new Tranny, is the timing belt, It runs good and it drives great, once again it just goes back to the rust.

Comment

Ask the seller if you can have a shop inspect it. If he's willing to go for it take it to a frame shop and see what they say. They may tell you to leave it. You don't want to deal with safety issues. If the repair this guy did is solid its going to have to be sanded and painted which is already going to be a fair amount of work.

Comment

It is inspected until may of next year, but when I went to look at it, the rust is still pretty bad.

Comment

Not that kind of inspection. I meant by a frame shop, people who deal with stuff like this everyday. They can tell you if the repair will hold or if it won't. They can tell you how much it'll cost you down the road. Just because a car has an inspection sticker doesn't mean it doesn't have problems.

Comment

Ahh, okay, I see what you're saying. I think i may know a person who knows another that does rust work, I will see what he has to say, haha.

Comment

Working...
              X