CB radio question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CB radio question

What channel is used most these days on CB's for just chit chat? It's been a bit since I have used mine, all I remember is that there is an emergency channel, but can't remember which one it is either!

I believe 9 is the emergency I'm not sure what's most commonly used for generic talking, I think it varies by where you are.

Comment

19 is pretty popular around here

Comment

channel 9 is emergency and 19 is what most truckers use.

Comment

9 is emergency
          19 is trucker channel
          Around here & from my many interstate travels, 14 is local communications, mainly from base stations.
          If I'm talking to a specific person, I might find a less used channel in the 30's or channel 40.

If you can get one, I recommend an amp for the CB, mine puts out 253 total watts. But be careful, CB amps are illegal in many states including the one I'm in.
          I can light up a florescent light next to my antenna with the output signal.

Comment

hehe

Comment

19, unless you're colored. I think they use channel 6.

I could ask Tony for you...there are probably more interesting ones. The cops are usually on 19, so I wouldn't even screw with channel 9, except maybe for a flat tire.

Comment

CB... bah. You want to get your Ham license!! 2 meter all the way.

Comment

I have one already, with no use for it whatsoever. CQCQCQCQCQCQ any other dorks spend all day fucking with their radio and just have to talk to somebody to show them that it works?

They have 10-meter and CB combos at Cobra for about $300 now, something to do when channel 19 fills up with retards who aren't intelligent enough to switch a conversation.

-denise

Comment

I really want to get people on the CB around here, I'm thinking channel 13 or 18 as a backup (6+6+6=18).

I'll get into ham as soon as they drop the requirement for morse code knowledge (which I think they did but I'm not sure), but anyone can use a CB... maybe I'll have both eventually.

Comment

They (the ubiquititous "they") are saying that the morse code requirement has been dropped. The FCC has jurisdiction over the airwaves, and "they" probably have a web page.

Comment

9 is emergency - but don't bother. Tried it a couple times - nothing.
                        19 is truckers / highway - works better than 9 (truckers are a better help than the cops)
                        Area channels are area specific (mine was 2 or 3) usually find someone to talk to (or specify a channel to your convoy before leaving) then all go to a quiet channel later.

"Breaker 1-9 , that's about it good buddy... Duck, got your ears on?... Flyman here - got my seat cover, Spiderwoman, and the two magots with me"

Comment

Originally posted by Flymanj3 View Post
                          9 is emergency - but don't bother. Tried it a couple times - nothing.
                          19 is truckers / highway - works better than 9 (truckers are a better help than the cops)
                          Area channels are area specific (mine was 2 or 3) usually find someone to talk to (or specify a channel to your convoy before leaving) then all go to a quiet channel later.

"Breaker 1-9 , that's about it good buddy... Duck, got your ears on?... Flyman here - got my seat cover, Spiderwoman, and the two magots with me"
                          Yeah as far as I know, no one even monitors 9 anymore.

Oh and for what it's worth "Good Buddy" is now a term used for referring to homosexuals, at least on the trucker channel 19.

Comment

Originally posted by EvilManor View Post
                            Oh and for what it's worth "Good Buddy" is now a term used for referring to homosexuals, at least on the trucker channel 19.
                            Hmmmm, never heard that - we always called 'em "Sissy Pants"... as in
                            ""He's wearin' sissy pants" or "their a pair of sissy pants".

Comment

Originally posted by Flymanj3 View Post
                              Hmmmm, never heard that - we always called 'em "Sissy Pants"... as in
                              ""He's wearin' sissy pants" or "their a pair of sissy pants".
                              Yes, however I'm sure the sissy pants would like to be called something less derogatory.

Comment

Working...
                              X