• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pitbull Viciously Attacks Baby

[YOUTUBE]vL1trl1FMUw[/YOUTUBE]

You own a pit don't you?

Comment

Well I'd have to say I agree with most of the video, and I do believe pits become vicious due to their environment, but after seeing the aftermath of my two nephews being attacked and chomped on like pieces of meat by 3 pit bulls its hard to keep that mentality. Yet on the other hand my old neighbors had a pit and she was the sweetest thing in the world and absolutely adored their little girl. But yes pits have gotten a bad rap which is induced by the owners that beat them and train them to be so agressive.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Kinee View Post
        You own a pit don't you?
        uh yea.........

last xmas....8 weeks old...14 lbs each

3 weeks ago....1 year old....65 lbs each

Comment

I'm so torn on this whole thing.

In October, we had to put our 1 1/2 year old pit bull mix down for dog aggression issues. I would've trusted that guy around other people 100%, but if it was furry and moving, he wanted to kill it.

He was the sweetest dog 99% of the time, but that 1% of the time was the most scary thing I have ever dealt with in my life. I don't think I'll ever own another pit, but I don't support pit bans. I no longer believe that whole line about "there are no bad dogs, there are only bad owners..." when you have an animal that was selectively bred to be dog aggressive, sometimes that instinct is going to come through no matter how much they've been trained, and how well they've been raised.

Comment

http://www.badrap.org/rescue/index.cfm

Just a link incase anyone wants to read up.

Comment

Small world - My brother's girlfriend did the photo shoot for their "exposed" calendar.

Comment

He was the sweetest dog 99% of the time, but that 1% of the time was the most scary thing I have ever dealt with in my life.
                Would you ride on an airplane that crashed 1% of the time? Of course not, because the risk is to yourself. A pit bull might maim the neighbor's kid or dog, but it probably won't hurt you, so what the fuck? It's easy to take chances with someone else's safety. This is the way that human beings think, isn't it?

-denise

Comment

Originally posted by Morella View Post
                  Would you ride on an airplane that crashed 1% of the time? Of course not, because the risk is to yourself. A pit bull might maim the neighbor's kid or dog, but it probably won't hurt you, so what the fuck? It's easy to take chances with someone else's safety. This is the way that human beings think, isn't it?

-denise
                  Oh, if it were my safety at risk, I probably would've kept him, and worked with him more. He almost killed one of my other dogs, and that was not fucking cool.

It was not a decision made lightly, but when you know in your heart that its the right thing to do, and your trainer and a pit rescue agrees with you, you know you're not making a rash decision.

I don't feel like retyping the whole thing, but if anybody's interested in the whole story, its here: http://trocarkarin.livejournal.com/8738.html

Comment

That story is very sad. I am sorry you had to experience that.

Comment

It's a bad situation with no easy answer. Sometimes the problem is just the condition of a fence, and here's a story about "bad owners". When my neighbors first moved in, I heard some scratching at the doggie door, and I thought it was a cat, so I asked my dog (the one that later died) to chase him away. As it turned out, it was a Domeran and a Rottweiler that had knocked the (disputed ownership) fence down and gone through it, and were about to come into my house. There was no reason for that. My dog was inside, just taking a nap. I had just returned from the hospital with intestinal bleeding, and I had to put on my bathrobe and a gunbelt, get my screwgun and repair the fence. I knocked on the neighbors' door to ask for help, and they ignored me. Both of their dogs snapped at me while I was reaching over the fence and putting the screws in. The neighbors had the curtains open, and they just stood there and laughed. I was well within my rights to shoot the dogs, but it was the owners' fault, not the dogs'.

These same people came over and knocked on the door while I was in the back room and Tony answered. He told them that he parked it there so that the mail carrier could get to the mailbox. They told him that he had to move his truck because they had friends coming in from Minnesota, and he didn't want them to see a big truck next to their house. Tony said that they probably expected me to answer the door, and I told him that it's a good thing that I didn't. I would have asked them when they purchased the road, and had a few words about the dogs as well.

Maybe what we need is a law prohibiting assholes from owning dogs.

-denise

Comment

Originally posted by Morella View Post
                        Maybe what we need is a law prohibiting assholes from owning dogs.

-denise
                        And breeding.

Comment

Ok. I know this thread is a lil' old, but I figured I'd really like to post my feelings about the breed here anyway.

One thing I definately have noticed is whenever there is a vicious dog attack, the media is always quick to say its a pit bull. Rarely will you hear them say what the breed is that attacked unless its a pit. Or even a just a dog suspected of being a pit, even if its just a mixed breed or a breed that kinda resembles one (like a Presa Canario for instance). Or when a pit does something good (like maybe save a family from a fire), the media will rarely, if ever, say it was a pit. Don't get me wrong, I'm not the biggest fan of the pits, its just I don't think its fair the way they are treated.

Truth is, I've seen a lot of pit bulls at my job (I currently work at an animal shelter). Very few actually pass the temperment test that they are given before being placed for adoption. Usually when they are aggressive, its seems they are more dog aggressive than people agressive. The funny thing is, they can be very sweet dogs, or very agressive. But when they are sweet, they are just the sweetest things you'll ever see. My main concern though is not their aggression. I would trust a pit over a chow chow any day. Its their power that I worry about. They are VERY strong muscular dogs that can do a lot of damage when they do actually attack. And of unfortunately you get the occasional idiot that will breed them mainly so they can get money off the pups. These people don't care if they breed the dogs to be inbred, aggressive, unhealthy, whatever. They don't care about the dogs at all. They just know they sell. If I could tell you how many people would come to my job asking if they could adopt a pit from us without of fixing them so they could breed them. And its ONLY the pits that I have ever heard people ask about this. And then you get those who breed them solely so they could fight. These irresponsible breeders are the main reason for the 'bad' pits. I could go on some more, but I think I'll stop now.

Comment

i was actually attacked by a pit when i was 5 or 6

Comment

This is for making me listen to U2

Comment

Working...
                              X