Cold Steel Knives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cold Steel Knives

Swords, Axes, Machetes and The Coolest Knives For Sale From The Leader in Tactical Weapons and Gear

Just found this site they have some crazy cool stuff and LOTS of vids. Thought Id share my find for anyone like me who has not seen their stuff. Seeing a fat guy swinging a Great sword is friggen awesome!!

Holy shit - he has a MEAT BICYCLE! I just want to say that again - A MEAT BICYCLE.

Comment

i wouldn't buy a sword from cold steel unless you just want a beater. they overbuild their swords so big old redneck guys can cut through steel trashcans with them.

Comment

I kinda want a Katana at some point but Id only get one that was made like in the old days. I do however want a knife or two of theirs and the vids make them look like they work well. Like the flex test I know my Ka-bar knife would crap out doing that but I’m not real happy with Ka-bar anyway or Gerber for that matter. So seeing as we are on the topic of knives someone tell me some good companies that don’t make crap! Like Benchmade I hear nothing but good things from them just have yet to buy anything from them.

Comment

i wouldn't buy a sword from cold steel unless you just want a beater. they overbuild their swords so big old redneck guys can cut through steel trashcans with them.
          That's exactly why I would buy one from them, to get a sword you could actually use.

Comment

MEAT BICYCLE

Comment

it depends on what you want to do with one. if you're looking for something historically accurate for martial arts training - albion makes the finest western swords on the market. I have one of these, and let me tell you, it is the corvette of man-killing edged implements

Comment

MEAT BICYCLE
                LOL

it depends on what you want to do with one. if you're looking for something historically accurate for martial arts training - albion makes the finest western swords on the market. I have one of these, and let me tell you, it is the corvette of man-killing edged implements
                Not so much for martial arts training I can get training swords but more so a "real" one. Like folded steel handmade and sharpened in some grass hut haha. I found a guy that hand makes them still, it was some time ago I think it was folded somewhere around 50 times it was a few G's though.

Anything bad about cold steels knifes? I don’t have the cash for anything any time soon but would like to know what to get when I do the cash.>>

Comment

no their knives are fine. knives are an entirely different beast. a sword is MUCH more complex - it is not just a sharp piece of steel with a handle (contrary to popular belief).

if you want a sword to just play around with, it doesn't really matter. if you want a sword that is traditionally constructed, historically accurate, and designed to effectively chop and poke holes IN PEOPLE, then you have to pay very close attention to what you buy.

If you want to know more about replica swords, go here or here.

Comment

Cool thks for the links and info Ryan

Comment

When and if I buy another sword it will be for SHTF purposes. I don't care if it's made in the old traditional ways, and I am not looking for a work of art. I will be looking for the bulldozer of man-killing edged implements. A sword that can bash and slash through anything that gets in the way.
                      As far as folded steel it's really not needed these days. There is steel available today is far stronger than the folded steel of old days.

Comment

well the problem is that most replicas are not made to be "bulldozer of man-killing edged implements." Most are made today for hanging on a wall, or for costume, or to appeal to people that like molded skulls and other silly things all over the place. These are usually built with rat-tail tangs that will break and snap if you try to use it for real purposes.

On the other hand, you have companies like Windlass Steelcrafts, that make OK blades with sub-par hilts made with threaded tangs. These swords are held together with a pommel that screws onto the end of the tang. This system is better than a rat-tail tang, but it is still not as strong as a traditionally constructed sword. threaded pommels tend to unscrew themselves and loosen with use. Also, this method of construction puts the wooden grip under a great deal of unnecessary force, making it prone to breaking.

Cold Steel uses this method of construction, yet they overbuild everything to take unnecessary abuse. While this is certainly better than making a sword that's too weak, it's still inefficient. It's like if you have a performance car, but have a thousand pounds worth of concrete in the trunk. It still works, but it doesn't perform like it should. It will be slow, not accelerating like it should, and not stopping like it should.

The same with a sword - if you take a certain sword from cold steel that weighs 4 lbs, and compare it to a more properly constructed sword that weighs in at 3 lbs, the 3 lbs sword is going to fight circles around the 4 lb sword. Much like a lighter car can out accelerate and typically outperform a heavier car, given the same power plant. So even though a 4 lb sword can do the job, it's going to be more of a pain in the ass to carry, it's going to be slower on the attack and recovery, and it will tire you out much faster to use it.

Traditional construction isn't for the sake of being traditional, or for the sake of art. Swords were made in a certain way because that way offered the best functionality and reliability. Swords are very complex - the blade geometry, heat treating, and hilt construction have to be done in a very certain way to let the sword be functional according to its purpose.

The hilt of a traditional sword needs to be wedged/hot peened (for western swords). This means that the tang is a solid piece of metal that pierces through the pommel (and is not round or threaded). The pommel is wedged onto the tang, and the tang is peened over it. This means the pommel is not going to come off, ever. It does not compress against the wooden grip, making it weak or prone to breaking.

Handling is believing. If you want, come over and i'll show you the handling differences and we can do some test cutting. I guarantee you that you'll see the difference between a traditionally constructed sword and an improperly constructed sword once you hold them. The difference really is amazing.

Comment

I see your point. Was just looking at my 2 old civil war era swords and they both appear to be made the way you described. Most of my other swords are from Museum replicas and have a bit of threading at the end of the tang with a cap screwed on the end, but are sturdy other than that.

Comment

when i buy an museum replicas sword, i take them apart completely, and coat all the inside of the pommel, grip, and guard down with construction adhesive. then once you put it back together and it dries, it is stronger.

Comment

ummm..... i might be missing something but what is a tang, and how would yo start takeing one apart to mak them stronger.

I have a sword that i know nothing about. Bought it for 30 bucks used at a ren. fair. Just wanted to hit things with it like pumpkins and stuff. IT is fairly heavy, but not sharp at all. It held up prity good , but i dropt it to the grass from the second floor and now the metal handle is loose. The blade is tight , but the handle itself will twist a little. the soed is all mwtal, no wood.

Comment

Working...
                              X