Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not that I needed another project but...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not that I needed another project but...

I just picked this up, as it was a deal that I couldn't refuse... It's a 1961 Cadillac Miller-Meteor Ambulance (I believe it's a Sentinel)...

nice snag!! you do know that the pro cars are pack animals dont you?

Comment

Originally posted by Hoodlum Rocky View Post
      nice snag!! you do know that the pro cars are pack animals dont you?
      Thanks Rocky, I appreciate it... "Pack animals" indeed...

Comment

You lucky bastard! That is a sweet set of wheels!!
        Nothing like that left around here.......

Comment

Originally posted by Tulsa Guy View Post
          You lucky bastard! That is a sweet set of wheels!!
          Nothing like that left around here.......
          Thanks Tulsa, lucky for sure... Supposedly the car's been sitting for around 25 years, and it is virtually intact except for the motor & trans that were gently removed for a '63 Ambulance... Still has the fender skirts, hubcaps & jump seats in the back as well as a big inverter behind the passenger seat for 120v power...

Comment

Looks like a pretty badass project - good luck!

(take lots of pics)

Comment

Originally posted by Psychoholic View Post
              Looks like a pretty badass project - good luck!

(take lots of pics)
              Hey thanks Psychoholic, badass indeed... I'll take some pictures this coming weekend since it's finally warming up here & the snow is disappearing... It would be interesting to find some sort of history on it, but neither the fellow I got it from, nor the person he got it from have any idea... I absolutely love them roof lights...

Comment

Great score! Hearty congrats. Impressive that it still has all 4 Safe-T-Vu lights.

Looks too rounded/tall for a Sentinel (42.5"). 48" headroom is a Volunteer. Post a shot of the ID plate when you can.

'61 Sentinel base price: $10,936
                '61 Volunteer base price: $11,309

Comment

Not even a broken window in it. Super cool. What's going under the hood? If you're in the northeast I could probably direct you to another 390 if you need one.

Comment

I love the roof lights, too. Great project.

Comment

Originally posted by Atti View Post
                      Great score! Hearty congrats. Impressive that it still has all 4 Safe-T-Vu lights.

Looks too rounded/tall for a Sentinel (42.5"). 48" headroom is a Volunteer. Post a shot of the ID plate when you can.

'61 Sentinel base price: $10,936
                      '61 Volunteer base price: $11,309
                      Thanks Atti much appreciated... I was quite startled to see this show up on Kijiji and to be so complete... Thanks for the name of the roof lights, now I need to figure out what kind of beacon belonged in the center...

I'll take a shot of the ID plate & probably post it tomorrow...

Comment

Originally posted by Mohawk Freak View Post
                        Not even a broken window in it. Super cool. What's going under the hood? If you're in the northeast I could probably direct you to another 390 if you need one.
                        I was very surprised about the condition of the glass, even the windshield is in great shape... Not sure about a power train, either a 390 to be period correct or I have a line on a 425 or 500 as well...

Thanks Mohawk...

Comment

Originally posted by Abnorml View Post
                          I love the roof lights, too. Great project.
                          Thanks Abnorml, the roof lights are just too kOoL...

Comment

I sent your pictures to Tom McPherson & he confirmed what Atti said:
                            The vehicle in the photos you sent appears to be a 1961 Miller-Meteor "Volunteer" ambulance. Prices for the 48-inch headroom Volunteer began at $11,309 and, in interior spaciousness and headroom, it was second only to the iconic M-M Guardian ( the fabled M-M high headroom unit with its flamboyant styling). The Volunteer was a favourite with fire and police department rescue squads as well as hospitals and others requiring an extra-capacity four-litter ambulance.

Comment

Originally posted by hotroddwayne View Post
                              I sent your pictures to Tom McPherson & he confirmed what Atti said:
                              Wow, thanks Wayne... The Tom McPherson who wrote the book that I have enjoyed & cherished for years "American Funeral Cars & Ambulances - Since 1900"...?

Thanks again...

Comment

Working...
                              X