X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where does the newb start here?

Been lurking for a bit, still not sure.
    Where?
    Thanks for the link Tommy, been a long time coming just to get my hands on this ride.

nice ride!!!!!

Comment

Nice coach and I guess a welcome to the group is in order....WELCOME!!!

Comment

Funny, was actually thinking of this the other day - with the new specific fourm set up, a "Welcome" or "Introduce yourself" category would be nice.
        Welcome TT

Comment

Thanks for the welcome.
          I've been trying to buy this for 4 years now.

Pic's:

It's got some rust issues but I think it's repairable, some rear quarter panel work that is out of my league also. Needs a windshield, or at least I doubt it's repairable.

Comment

Welcome to the boards.

1976 (I don't know what to call it)
            What you have there is a 1976 S&S Endloading Hearse with Suicide rear doors. Those doors were used mainly on a 3-way coach, so the casket could be loaded from the side on a sliding table. But yours has the standard roller set-up in the back. Maybe it was made that way, maybe someone converted it sometime in it's life.

Comment

Originally posted by Riff Raff View Post
              Welcome to the boards.

What you have there is a 1976 S&S Endloading Hearse with Suicide rear doors. Those doors were used mainly on a 3-way coach, so the casket could be loaded from the side on a sliding table. But yours has the standard roller set-up in the back. Maybe it was made that way, maybe someone converted it sometime in it's life.
              Thanks for the welcome.
              There is some basic history I know of from paperwork in the rig and knowing the last two PO's.
              First owner was a local funeral home (forgot the name, at work now), then it was used by the Pima County Morgue here in Southern AZ. It was then purchased from Pima County by an employee and friend (Mike Moore) who sold it to my friends Jim and Stacey. They used it to haul band/DJ equipment.

There's got to be a blank owner/use in there as the rust on the frame is not typical for a totally AZ rig.

I have to admint I was after the hearse originally for the Caddy 500 for this...

...that's my normal rig and parts fab test bunny.

The Hearse is just too nice to steal the engine from.
              So I am going to tinker and wait a bit on any major decisions.

Comment

loving the scooby sun shades!

Comment

I know I sound like I am but don't destroy that beautiful coach just for the motor. We've lost too many good coaches to things like that. That is why mine is still sitting in the driveway waiting on parts. I can't bear the thought of tearing it apart just to put the motor and tranny in something else, even another coach. I know everyone is tired of seeing her but here is a pic of what she looks like right now. She was hit by a train. That's how I got her from the previous owner. No frame damage or engine damage or transmission damage. I drive her around my park. She handles beautiful. Just a gapping hole in her a$$ end. LOL

Comment

It will not be scavanged, at least by me it won't.
                    Rest assured, I scap a lot of rigs but this is not one of them, I can always find another Caddy 500 ('76 was not the best year anyway).

The interior is very decent for it's age.
                    I'm still sorting through trim but it looks to be all there.
                    I have an excellent bodywork buddy here, I think it will be fine just to restore it and creep out the neighbors.
                    It did actually come with a body bag from the PCME (Pima County Medical Examiner).

Comment

Welcome aboard!

On a sidenote, I would pay for gas if you could inspect an old Saab for me in Saurarita(sp).

Just need to know rust issues, how complete the car looks ect ect.

Comment

Sure, I do that all the time for the FSJ people.
                        It will have to be on a weekend, we can set it up via PM.

Comment

That is REALLY unusual, first off you almost NEVER see S&S hearses with suicide doors, let alone a coach with suicide doors, not partition BUT with a normal casket table! Any info on how the car ended up in this configuration? It's just really fascinating. Beautiful interior by the way!

Comment

Any info on how the car ended up in this configuration? It's just really fascinating. Beautiful interior by the way!
                            Well thanks, but no, I don't really know anything about these things besides being able to ID drivetrain components.
                            I will ask the PO's if they know anything, but even Mike who bought it from the county when he worked for the morgue would be a bit young to have been around there working when it came into county posession I would think.

Is there like a VIN decoder for these rigs like we have for Jeeps and such?

I'll sit down and look at the previous registrations that were in the car. I glanced at them but nothing jumped out at me saying this was anything special.

I guess it's gonna need a name soon.

Comment

either way.......it is a beautiful coach.

Comment

Working...
                              X