an intro: my '60 Crown saga

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• an intro: my '60 Crown saga

Some of you know me, perhaps from posting on the PCS forum for 12 years now. That time has come to an end, however, and a little intro here isn't bad.

Everyone has that one particular coach that makes them feel warm and fuzzy, right? For me that means a '60 Crown Royale. Acquiring one in limo form has turned into a long term game unfortunately, so enjoy these twists:

1. Upstate NY. 1995? One picture was sent to me via snail mail after running a wanted ad in Hemmings about a '60 Crown in a junkyard with NO contact info for the yard. By the time the guy got back to me via snail mail also wanting a finder's fee for the picture, the yard had scrapped the coach. Actually, the yard told me the coach had been scrapped the previous year. That one was white over black, albeit with forward hinged rear doors.

2. 1998. An artistic photograph of one on eBay turns up. The b/w print was hand colored pink, so the coach has to be white or light grey. Coach was missing skirts, had limo tinted windows, mag wheels, and a broken rear passenger sider window. eBay seller was cordial, took the picture out of state while on vacation in Mississippi. By the time he found the contact info for the USED CAR LOT it sat on it had sold. Of course I left my contact information and asked to have it forwarded to the buyer but never heard back!

3. 2001. Sold my '64 S&S Park Row to finance the purchase of a '60 in SLC, Utah, owned by an aftermarket Harley shop. White (light blue maybe - lost the pic in an old computer), missing skirts, ran well, light bodywork started, no rust. Interior was in shambles. Had an agreement for $4500. Offered to send a deposit with the balance in a little over a week - when my coach sold. "Just send the money when you have it." Forwarded the eBay link to the guy in Salt Lake to check my coach out. He watched the auction, saw how much it realized, renigged on our deal - bumping the price to $6500, over what mine brought because his was 'older'. No thanks! A month later he put it on eBay himself and it brought around $7100. Grrr. Shot myself in the foot there inadvertantly. Hasn't turned up since.

4. 2004. Horrid purple '60 running that a certain noted hearse seller was trying to sell me. One excuse after another...led to 6 months! Finally got her on the phone. She didn't own the coach, which is why she couldn't answer questions or send more pics. Tried to use my money to front her buy and profit. I offered her a standard 10% finder's fee, not knowing location or price. The information was turned over. Then found out the coach was a mere 5 1/2 hours away in Louisville, KY for $3k! Called IMMEDIATELY. Number disconnected with no further information. Sent a friend that lived there out to look for the coach in the area. They had moved. I could have strangled that money grubbing seller.

This coach resurfaced in 2008, and was purchased unchanged by the same hearse reseller. She in turn offered it to me for a "discounted" price close to $10k. Without suicide doors and needing restoration? Pfft.

5. Winter, 2005. '60 near Grand Forks, ND but was actually across the border in MN. The owner was a farmer who had 150+ cars. Motor had stuck from sitting. Was complete, all glass good. I had sent him a $500 deposit (out of $3500) awaiting more pics/thaw. Old car dealer swooped down from ND and purchased 30+/- of his cars - and had to have that friggin' '60 as part of the deal. Farmer gave my deposit back. Not the way I do business however~

Last I heard the coach was on eBay and went over $9-10k, as seen here. Somehow missed it.

6. Summer, 2007. Dieter Obeji near LA had one. It was white over black. Rear side windows were out as he used those large irreplaceable moldings that held them in for another coach. Motor was either missing or incorrect as he was including a 390 from a '59 limo. The price was fair for a local sale but not to ship cross country. Plus it was a major incomplete project.

7. Fall, 2008. Really nice original '60 that has been on eBay at least 5 tims now goes on the market outside Chicago. I had a chance to purchase before eBay but could not come to any sort of middle ground. Pleasant owner wants $24k. Haven't seen that coach bring over $11k reserve not met yet...

Additional info on any of the aformentioned is welcome. Keep in mind that I'll *gladly* pay a 10% finder's fee if/when I buy one! Perseverence will pay off. =)

For the time being I'll enjoy my '57 and keep hearse hunting pre-'65.

Also, there was a 1960 for sale on the Portland Oregon Craigslist posted on the 11th. Try putting up a post there inquiring about it...

Comment

Landaulet and non-Crown models. Good lookin' though!

Moved to Austin, btw. So I'm not far from you but didn't know who 'us' referred to. Heh.

Comment

PCS? *grabs pitchfork*

Oh wait that time has come to an end? Any reason why? Personally I hate those pretentious bastards and am happy to have you aboard the board. Thanks for the awesome post too.

Comment

Originally posted by Atti View Post
          Landaulet and non-Crown models. Good lookin' though!

Moved to Austin, btw. So I'm not far from you but didn't know who 'us' referred to. Heh.
          Ahh, "us" was referring to the Trocars

Comment

Well.................

I bought a 1960 S&S park row about 5 years ago that had been sitting in a body shop parking lot for years. After several years of asking, leaving phoner numbers and being told " not for sale", i get a call saying "bring 500 bucks and a carberator with you and it's yours". well, short story 2 hours later i was driving it home with bad brakes and not enough gas in the tank, but hey, i made it. Come to find out the car was owned by the shriners,(cringes) and they were going to cut the top off the car and do that horrible thing they do to cars, and were having a christmas gathering of some sort and needed funding, well, they got the cash they needed and i saved a coach.

I sold the car to a guy north of blueridge Ga. when i couldnt afford to treat it like it needed to be treated. The car now sits in a warehouse where they make "log cabin" style siding. From what i hear he hasnt done shit with it. You may be able to throw some dollar signs at him and get it fairly cheap.

i havent been by there in quite awhile, i plan on riding my new crotch rocket up the mountain roads some time real soon, if i can remember exactly how to get there.....( i know what dirt road it is off the highway, but i think there is a turn or 2 after that that i am unsure of") i'll look in on it.

Comment

I am going on a long-ago memory, but I recall going to a junkyard somewhere near Shiner Texas (yes, as in "Shiner Bock") that had a 1960 Superior Crown in it. It had the lower quarter stainless and the rear door emblem, but I don't recall whether it was a 3-way, or whether it was a landau or limo style... And it was rusty below the belt line.

Not a very solid lead, but I did see it in person. 8 or 9 years ago...

Comment

Originally posted by Scary Guy View Post
                PCS? *grabs pitchfork*

Oh wait that time has come to an end? Any reason why? Personally I hate those pretentious bastards and am happy to have you aboard the board. Thanks for the awesome post too.
                I was given a severe reprimand after posting that '59 Superior there for 'not following the rules and bucking the system'. In his infinite wisdom, Dean Newman did not particularly enjoy my civil retort that included how he is akin the odd athlete in the minority that places a greater importance on himself over the team. Since Paul is a growth on his hip (or is it the other way around?), I'm not losing any sleep over it. Laughing quite a bit in fact! Should've registered here a long time ago regardless, as I've been lurking for a few years.

And thanks! More stuff planned here so stay tuned.

Sad aspect is that most PCS minions are super nice in person. Those responsible for the forum have their own itinerary and cast a monstrous negative light.

Comment

Originally posted by Boogeyman Con Carne View Post
                  Ahh, "us" was referring to the Trocars
                  I do have an indirect connection. Somehow my old '64 S&S Park Row ended up in Alex's possession before he passed it along to Darien:

Picture circa '99.

Comment

Originally posted by Boogeyman Con Carne View Post
                    I am going on a long-ago memory, but I recall going to a junkyard somewhere near Shiner Texas (yes, as in "Shiner Bock") that had a 1960 Superior Crown in it. It had the lower quarter stainless and the rear door emblem, but I don't recall whether it was a 3-way, or whether it was a landau or limo style... And it was rusty below the belt line.

Not a very solid lead, but I did see it in person. 8 or 9 years ago...
                    Bitchin' lead! I heart a good hearse hunt - and that is less than 2 hours away. Rusty below that belt line eh? I could always graft onto that '59 3-way... =D

Comment

I do have an indirect connection. Somehow my old '64 S&S Park Row ended up in Alex's possession before he passed it along to Darien:

Picture circa '99.
                      AHA! So it's all your fault eh?
                      Seriously though, the flames were Alex's fault... Anything else was all Darien Lat I heard, I think Frank Redmond has her coach, and she is living in Oklahoma...

Comment

Darien still owns Bloody Elle - we're friends. She's currently looking for a rear door to replace the bondo over duct tape job actually.

Don't know when/where that occurred but the '64 was still original navy blue paint when it left my possession.

Comment

Sad aspect is that most PCS minions are super nice in person. Those responsible for the forum have their own itinerary and cast a monstrous negative light.
                          Totally different here - the management are saints, it's the people that are assholes!

Comment

Quote:
                            Originally Posted by Atti

Totally different here - the management are saints, it's the people that are assholes!

HEY thats not, er.. well...ok your right, but still.....

Atti, Did we meet in Ohio when I picked up my 68 Pontiac. We had a get together at a drive-in resterant. Mainly PCS folks there, Sarah, Ray, and Dean and a few others.

I do agree with you about the PCS. Everyone I have met from the PCS have been great people, even when I had my 82 all painted up in Daytona. But the PCS forum turns them into lemmings and they let Paul and Dean run amuck and do whatever they please, wether it is good for the PCS membership or just pisses people off and chases them away for joining. I was a member and would gladly join again, but being an "outsider" I don't feel like I would be as welcome as someone in the "industry."

Comment

indeed we did

October, 2006 if memory serves me well (Okay Okay I cheated and looked at the date stamp.):

There was another Pontiac that showed this past Fall. Local, first time out, owner was just finishing restoring it. Sarah and I actually brought yours up to him:

Comment

Working...
                              X