ID this coach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ID this coach

Let's have some fun! This one isn't very easy.

Part 1: Year and manufacturer.

(99% certain I've figured this out and am embarrassed to say how long it took. Still working on the coach builder portion off a second picture that will be posted after Part 1 is guessed correctly.)

39 Flxible Buick

Comment

Good guess. Pictured below on the right is a '39 Flxible Buick however:

Year and automotive brand for now is enough. Keep those guesses flowing.

Comment

I have to guess a 1937 Buick but the chrome strips along the belt line of the hood really mess me up! But as you said Atti the coach builders all added their own chrome touches to make them unique.

Comment

Closer still! We now have 1/2 of the correct first part. Which one though?!?!?

Hint: This is a 1937 Buick.

Comment

The hood ornament kept me wondering even after the Buick guess, but after thinking back to my research building a 1947 Studebaker pickup at pix of the studebakers & how the hood ornament was often also the hood release. I repeal the Buick guess & buzz in with 1937 Studebaker,,, that's my final answer
            Last edited by hotroddwayne; 02-18-2009, 01:21 PM. Reason: more info added

Comment

You still nailed the year!

Honestly - this one had me stumped for quite some time too. Not pictured in the black book or any other hearse book that I have. Of course the fuzzy nature doesn't help.

Comment

I would say that it is a 1937 Studebaker

Comment

'37 Stude S&S?

Comment

Damn! You guys are good. Well done! I was heavily leaning towards DeSoto myself...now you've convinced me otherwise. Maybe the next picture will help:

Part 2: Guess the coach builder.

Comment

1937 Miller Studebaker Carved Panel hearse with the panels removed and sheet metal welded in.

Comment

Knightstown

Comment

Looks like the Studebaker Woody Wagon

Comment

i think it was Superior coaches though i could be wrong, i useualy am :/

Comment

Ok this one bugged me all night at work last night! After opening this thread & reading several of you now agree with me on 1937 Studebaker... searching Wikipedia I found a photo that will lay all doubts to rest. Notice the grille, headlight placement, & trim are identical... but the clincher is that awful "door handle" looking hood ornament & more important is if you look at the side of the cowl panel (just behind the hood side panel) in both Atti's pic & the one below you notice a round chrome piece mounted right on the cowl. That's actually a hold-down mount for the spare tire (spare tire sits down in the front fender, like the more fancy LaSalles of the day). Thanks for a fun thread Atti... ya drove me nuts for 2 days with it! As for coach builder... haven't a clue! I know my old cars but coach builders is still a learning process. Here's the pic I just found:

Here's a 1937 Studebaker pickup with the spare tire in place:
                              Last edited by hotroddwayne; 02-19-2009, 10:38 AM. Reason: Added the truck photo

Comment

Working...
                              X