Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'59 Superior 3-way: part out or restore?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '59 Superior 3-way: part out or restore?

Hurricane Fran wreaked havoc in '96, causing 37 deaths and $5B in damages.

Hurricane Fran also happened to down an oak tree. A large old oak tree. A large old oak tree that happened to partially crush a '59 Superior sideloader.

Here's a chance to state your focused case like a trial lawyer.

Cons: Took out rear third of roof, rear loading door, fiberglass sail panel, and damaged driver fin. Look at main ingredients: Superior rear door is interchangeable from '59-'64, roof '59-'60, sail panel and fin (obviously) '59 only. '60 sail panel could be modified to work. Skill set required to re-roof coach limits to upper percentile.

Pros: This was a running, driving '59 until damage occurred five years ago. Not rusty. 3-way table/mechanism not damaged. (Left rear piece loose and set in place for pics). Clear title. Highest (relative) procar value. '59s don't grow on trees.

Would you restore, part out, use base for custom, or ?

Discuss.
    Part this sad too far gone coach out.
    6.25%
    Find parts and restore.
    87.50%
    Cut roof off and make a parade car/truck/custom.
    6.25%
    Other.
    0.00%

The poll is expired.

I could turn it into a 59 flower car clone probably.

Comment

I would show pictures of the front clip and then part them out to me for my 59 lol

Comment

Hey look, we were just talking about the rarity of 3way tables and tracks

I'd fix it. I've put together worse.

Comment

Yea by no means would I part it out seriously. I am in desperate need of 2 59 fenders tho hahaha. Id fix this bad boy.

Comment

Would need more pics to really know how to vote.
            Is the frame damaged? is the front ok? Has it rusted out over the years?

Comment

Just out of curiousity, what would this coach sell for as is?

Comment

Originally posted by SmoothNlow View Post
                Yea by no means would I part it out seriously. I am in desperate need of 2 59 fenders tho hahaha. Id fix this bad boy.

Just out of curiousity, what would this coach sell for as is?
                '59-'60 sheetmetal is not coach specific. Any like Cadillac will do.

It is not for sale at this time. In fact, the owner can tell stories about dozens of people who have stopped by, trying to buy a '59, then degrading and offering $500. He isn't stupid. The man has traversed the country after '59 hearse goose chases more times than he could account for over the last 30+ years. I tip my hat to his vision and long-term dedication.

My best guess as to current value in this condition would be in the $6500-8500 range.

Originally posted by LMS View Post
                Would need more pics to really know how to vote.
                Is the frame damaged? is the front ok? Has it rusted out over the years?
                No frame damage. No sheet metal damage other than what was shown on rear. Lighter oxidation over some sheetmetal, no rot. Also no rot in floors or anywhere else that I noticed. Neglected to take more overall side shots somehow.
                Last edited by 60Crown; 05-26-2011, 03:28 PM.

Comment

Still hard to say. If it was someone who was good at metal working then restoring would be a no brainer. However if the person has no skills to do the work themselves then it would be tough. That would be a very expensive job for a body shop.

Comment

Given the heroics it would take to fix a car infested with rot in every crevice, which people will certainly set out to do, what it would take to fix this car is not worse ounce for ounce. The work to fix it is primarily in one area of the car. Not a back yard job, but it is a 59, and a 3 way besides. The holy grail of hearses to a lot of people. Fix it right and it will always be worth a good chunk of change.

Comment

I'd be looking for a 1960 Superior, as I think some of the pieces (like the rear door and glass) may be interchangable. Possibly some would know if other year Superiors might be close enough to be useful for donating some of the body work and glass. By the way, there's too many differences between the other coachbuilders of 1959 to be interchangable with Superior, without huge changes. My 59 Park Row looks quite different from your Superior, and that would go for 59 Miller Meteors and Eurekas
                      Last edited by Otto Baron; 05-29-2011, 02:05 AM.

Comment

If anyone feels like shipping this thing to the PNW, I'll fix it dirt cheap just to say I did!!! Feel free to PM me! (Owner will need to provide all of the necessary materials. I'll provide the skills, space, and equipment.)

Comment

I'd kill someone in front of their own mama for a '54 Caddy hearse.

Comment

Thankfully that is a '54 Superior flower car so no bail bondsman required.

Comment

My issue is that I have room in my life for exactly one hearse and it will always be filled with Morticia.

Do you have more pics of that car?? I don't think I've ever seen a '54 flower car.

Comment

Working...
                              X