my 1956 pontiac superior pathfinder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my 1956 pontiac superior pathfinder

It seems from what im told, that they made a few superior pontiac ambulances that had no deviders and no equipment in them, and were to be exported out of the united states, and were given the additional name of pathfinder. the rear side windows were not put in and were replaced with metal.
    It seems mine never made it out of the country and it landed into my hands a while back. As can be seen by the picture, someone broke all the glass out, so im looking forthe red tunnel light lenses, and rear door glass, if anyone knows of anyone that might have any.

Also i heard there may be an ambulance wrecking yard somewhere back east, but ive yet to find info on it.

cars_0018.jpg

Very nice ambulance! Good luck finding those oval lenses, no one reproduces them & they were heavy glass. R U INJRD on here has at least one spare & has talked about molding them if there's ever enough interest. He can give you full details on the lenses & i'm sure he'll chime in to this thread. I saved a 1956 Olds ambulance several months ago with grill lights that took those same lenses, but all that was left was the housings.
    Post up some more photos of your '56 when you get a chance? Welcome to NHAA we're glad you found your way here, enjoy!

Comment

The lenses are made by the S&M Lamp Co., and are very difficult to find. Not only are they rare to begin with, but they are also difficult to search for on ebay because most people don't know what to call them, and it is also difficult to search on the term S&M. They were used on some ambulances in the late 50's/early 60's, and the same lens was also used for a limited time on Superior (I think) school busses. I have two (one on my ambulance and a spare), and still plan to someday replicate them in plastic. The lenses were also available in amber and clear.

Comment

Yeah, ive had no luck finding any. i had found an amber one, and as luck would have it, it got broken during a move one time. if i can find one, i can use it to make a mold, because i plan on reproducing them in glass. Ive been working on making things out of glass, because i have a kiln to do the slumping. Someone needs to make them, because im sure there are rides in need of real and correct ones, and its a shame to not have the right parts available.
        Hell at this point, i dont care if there red, amber or clear, i just need one to make a mold with.
        also, if anyone needs lenses made out of glass, i would be willing to try to make them, but would need a sample to work with. the bad thing is, if re-poped they wouldnt be cheap if red, because as has always been the case, red glass costs a lot to buy.
        one other note for customs.... ive been working on painting designs on glass with glass powder, which is melted together. its not normal paint that flakes off, its actual glass. ive made a couple pieces for my motorcycle clubs logo. really looks cool lit up. it resembles real stained glass, but without the lead seams between colors.

Comment

I found this site while looking for ambulance related sites, while looking for these lenses...lol i have more pics, but have to scan them. there was an ambulance association a few years back, but i cant locate them now. its hard to believe these things are so hard to find, but thats also why i was looking for the ambulance wrecking yard i had heard about. ill find one, one of these days thats for sale, then ill be sure to get my pathfinder looking like it should.

Comment

Guy named X Hearse on Hearse Space site has posted pics of a junkyard full of ambulances in eastern Pa. Don't recall pics of any that old, but he looked there for me for some stuff I asked about.

Comment

First off, very cool ambulance!

I've seen those wrecking yard pics mentioned with several ambulances. Although there is a '56 hearse, no ambulances are that old. Even IF there were, there is a flaw holding out 'hope'...

As you know, every vehicle made has weaknesses - or parts with a high mortality rate that were designed poorly. These are the components that will continue to remain in high demand regardless of economic times, as demand is exponentially higher than supply. Most salvage units have these hard to find items picked clean.

Lumped in this category (related) are the lenses you seek! Conservatively a set of four will cost a grand, although a price tag upwards of $1200-1500 would not surprise.

Your best bet is to have them made or cast them yourself as mentioned. Spend the money for one to use for patterns/molds. Make them as close to original as possible and you'll recoup your investment. Many vehicles need them, including this '56 Superior high top I found in TX last year:

If they come out well, consider making '59 Cadillac fog lenses next. Never reproduced either and in high demand.

Comment

I've seen the lenses go for $20 a piece or less on ebay, but it's always after the fact. They are usually sold by people that have no idea what they are. The reason they go for so cheap is you really would just have to stumble upon them to find them on ebay. Consequently the cheap ones don't get a lot of bids. People who have them for sale don't know what they are or what to call them, so the people looking for them never find them. I have seen two separate pairs on ebay this year go for less than $40. I got my spare at a swap meet for $15, and only told the guy what it was and how rare it was after the transaction was done.

Comment

Well like i said, i have no issues with trying to reproduce anything out of glass as long as i have a patern. an honest cost to make the oval lense i mentioned i need, would cost me about 35 bucks each. seems that the glass is running about 25 bucks a sq ft, for red. to me, i have no issues making stuff for people and giving them a couple in exchange for letting me make a mold of what they needed redone. also, i have no intentions of making a ton of money off stuff like this anyway. i prefer the barter system, and seeing more cars hit the road. life is not all about money to me, and i guess thats why im a poor assed white boy living in the getto...lol

Comment

i guess thats why im a poor assed white boy living in the getto...lol[/QUOTE]

Don't feel too bad you ain't the only one! LOL

Comment

Awsome car, i dig it. As Dwayne said i have a 56 olds that could use a pair for if you get in the lens making business. I have personally chalked up to replacing them for some round ones. Because i have become attached to my nuts and would not like to give on up to own a pair of lenses.

Comment

well i do plan on making them,thats for sure...well, as long as i find a good one to make a mold from, and ill keep ya in mind when there done. I thought about finding someone to make them in glass or plastic, and no one was interested, and then i remembered my inlaw had a kiln that was in storage, so now its in my garage, and im practicing doing different glass things and trying to get a handle on this new hobby.. its sure not as easy as i thought it would be,...lol

Comment

Working...
                        X