No announcement yet.

small block chevy install in a 58 M/M

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That is some seriously cool work man. I'm excited to see it progress further.

Do you have concerns about the snout of the motor hitting the crossmember?

Comment

my pictures might not show it well, but that has been part of all that major cutting of the cross member work to get the motor to where it needs to be and to have the space needed so there is no problems. Today im going to start to tackle my power steering pump space issues. We will see how all that goes. I will keep taking pictures as I progress.

Comment

here are some pics of the motor, you can see how much space there is now around the front of the block. I started to cut out the cross-member one more time so i could fit my power steering pump. Uggh i hope this will be one of the last times to cut into it and to plate it.DSCN7229.jpgDSCN7230.jpgDSCN7231.jpgDSCN7237.jpgDSCN7239.jpgDSCN7242.jpgDSCN7245.jpg

Comment

If you're using the short water pump setup you could use the power steering setup off of a 79 v8 Monza, the power steering pump mounts high on the drivers side. You do have to have the taped holes in the front of the head.

Comment

thanks for the info but, Im running a long pump, and i am also going to run AC and alternator that is getting mounted on the top side of the motor. So i did not really have much choice. All i have been able to do is just chuckle to my self at how much i have had to cut and modify to fit a small block. I looked under the hood of my 62 and looking at the way the cross member is on that one. It would be alot less work doing something like that to that car.

Comment

i got the cross member all boxed back in and put my mock block in. My next step is fitting the brackets that i have for the power steering and alternator and ac. Also figuring out my header situation. I ordered some up we will see how it works out.DSCN7249.jpgDSCN7250.jpgDSCN7252.jpgDSCN7253.jpgDSCN7257.jpgDSCN7259.jpg

Comment

Very nice. Never would have thought that amount of difference between a 58 and 64. Was the 58 engine the same size physically as a 390/429?

Comment

yes it is the same size. When i walk over and look under the hood of my 62, there is so much difference between these cars on the frame cross member.

Comment

I ended up getting my new vintage air set up, i will have to figure out what its going to take to get it mounted up under the dash and plumbed. This is the newest gen set up with the electric servo doors, it is heat, air and defrost. Also got in these new kick ass valve coves. They are the 49 cad style script covers made for a small block chevy. They are a very nice heavy duty sand cast covers. I had them machine them for the PVC and for the breather. The machining is done on the top side of the covers towards the intake side.DSCN7261.jpgDSCN7263.jpgDSCN7266.jpgDSCN7267.jpgDSCN7268.jpgDSCN7269.jpgDSCN7270.jpg

Comment

This week i ended receiving my headers from Sanderson Headers. I ordered up a set and had them ceramic coated. They looked great and fit really well on the passenger side, the driver side not so much. There was a clearance issue between the rag joint and one of the tubes. I had to collapse the tube, now there is about a 1/8" or so extra clearance now between. It was alittle more then i would of like to do. But it was on the bottom outer section of the pipe. Here is the pics of the headers and the fit issues.DSCN7274.jpgDSCN7275.jpgDSCN7276.jpgDSCN7278.jpgDSCN7279.jpgDSCN7280.jpgDSCN7283.jpgDSCN7284.jpgDSCN7286.jpgDSCN7287.jpg

Comment

I also fit up the brackets for the ac set up, i ordered them from alan grove components. They fit really well, when all is said and done i will send them out to be plated. One more step closer to getting it on the road.DSCN7292.jpgDSCN7293.jpgDSCN7294.jpgDSCN7295.jpgDSCN7296.jpgDSCN7297.jpgDSCN7298.jpg

Comment

Another small step i got done, The factory gas pedal was getting stiff from rust and more hard wear that just in the way that did not need to be there. So i installed one of lokar midnight series gas pedals. It is a great easy mount, i have done a few of them in my rides. It is cable driven. Today will be welding the trans tunnel back up. Here is the pedal set up.DSCN7306.jpgDSCN7307.jpgDSCN7308.jpgDSCN7310.jpgDSCN7311.jpg

Comment

God damn that motor sits low in there.

Comment

Originally posted by Psychoholic View Post
                              God damn that motor sits low in there.
                              It really is not as low as it looks in some of the pics. The trans pan and the oil pan is just above the bottom of the frame. And i think with the heat boxes taken off the fire wall makes it look like that also. I think by the time i get the carb/ fuel injection unit and the original air cleaner on it will be about the same ht as the caddy. These cars do have much deeper compartment then the 62 sitting next to it.

Comment

i started to work on the floor pans this week. I had to move the trans tunnel bump back some to give some room for the turbo 400, and to give alittle more room for the slip yoke. Also started to cut out the rusted dr side pan. I ordered a pan from OPG it was a ok part. Something to start with al least. Here it is in all its rusty glory.DSCN7316.jpgDSCN7319.jpgDSCN7321.jpgDSCN7322.jpgDSCN7331.jpgDSCN7333.jpgDSCN7335.jpgDSCN7337.jpg

Comment

Working...
                                X