NEED HELP WITH PERFORMANCE MODS!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NEED HELP WITH PERFORMANCE MODS!

Anyone have a pointer as to where to look for some advice on doing performance modifications on my Hearse?

It's too old for the new shops and too young for the classic guys.

Any input would be appreciated.

I am initially looking for a header, exhaust, possibly intake and ignition upgrades as well.

what make and year hearse?

Comment

1990 Caddy Broham as linked in my sig.

Sorry I forgot to add that.

Comment

Well for the early '90s, performance mods are pretty limited, I've been looking for mods for mine. You have a few more options like getting a universal cold air kit and building one to fit yours. Haven't found any headers for any early 90's model caddies, but you can get a hold of a highflow catalytic converter and have your pipes mandrel bent instead of factory with a nice flowmaster or something of that sort. I don't know about yours but mine's got so many bends in it, I'm surprised the car can breathe at all. Now I have learned that since ours rely so much more on electricity than older models I'd opt for a bigger alternator and bigger battery cables since mine is running what appears to be 6 or 8 awg wire instead of the traditional 0awg (Now I don't know for sure, just this is what I'm being told by several unbiased mechanic friends that this will help improve the performance some) Of course the changing from regular fluids to all synthetics is supposed to work good, I haven't gotten all of mine changed over yet but I did notice a slight difference in the way mine runs when I changed over to synthetic motor oil. No "real" performance chips or programmers are available, at least that i've found. Any advice you get from any of the other owners on here, will probably be better than mine since I've been learning the hard way. I did find out after everyone on here told me not to, that those fancy new iridium plugs DON'T work on caddies well at all. Thats pretty much all I have. I'm still learning myself.

Comment

I've noticed this chip on eBay, and have no clue as to whether it works or not... Just thought I'd pass it on...

Comment

jlprigmore is 100% correct.

A great exhaust with high flow cats can improve 10-20 horsepower and 1-2 mpg. The cable upgrade is called "the big three", it will make a considerable difference in the ignition system and if you decide to run a good size stereo. Check out this board for details. http://www.canadiancaraudio.com/onli...big-three.html
            I wouldn't recommend a chip for that car. The air cleaner upgrade might help, but not as much as the exhaust. Not to mention you don't want your engine bay to look "frankenstiened"

Comment

What is your budget? Can you afford a full motor swap?

What about an LS/LT motor from a junkyard?

How about higher compression pistons?

Comment

which motor comes in those....its not still the big blocks is it?

Comment

350 Chevy

Comment

350 Chevy
                    In a 90 caddy?

Comment

Originally posted by BIGEVIL View Post
                      In a 90 caddy?
                      That's what my new one is coming with.

Comment

Well if thats the case than whatever performance mods you can find for the chevy caprice TBI 5.7L should bolt up the same which should include cold air induction, throttle body spacer, and maybe even some shortie headers for it. Might take some redneck engineering to actually make some of that stuff fit into the engine compartment but if they really are the same motors the door just opened a little wider for ya when it comes to performance mods.

Comment

Originally posted by Scary Guy View Post
                          That's what my new one is coming with.
                          And what I am told buy a guy that knows far more than me who did the research for me.

I have the "big 3" done now.

Comment

My 91 S&S has the 305, 5.0L, TBI, made for Cadillac by GM.
                            Wife's 90 Eureka has the 350, 5.7L, TBI, made for Cadillac by GM.
                            And the 350 gets better milage. The 91 S&S is a little under powered with the 305.

Comment

Well I got royally screwed than, cuz mine has that damn 4.5L and I can't do anything to it in the way of mods, you all have all sorts of goodies for yours. Wished I would have done my research before I bought mine, definetely would have saved up a few more bucks and bought the rear wheel drive.

Comment

Working...
                              X