No announcement yet.

Painting the 60

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Lots of new pictures added, and a new video on You Tube.

The color went on really well, but we had some major issues with the gun when shooting the clear coats. Because the space we are working in is so dark, we didn't notice that it was spitting a lot until it was too late. We are back to sanding, and hoping we can get the majority of the flaws out of the clear coat without going through. After that is the buffing and polishing, which again is uncharted territory for Nate and I.

If this works, the paint should shift from green to brown. If it doesn't work, it will be a dark green. Either way I am so done.

I just want to drive my car.

Comment

So, Helen is now dark green with a black top. We did manage to get a bit of the color shift, but you've really got to squint at it to see the difference. She also looks black in anything dimmer than bright sunshine.

I took her out Friday night for an unofficial meet, and kept her out for the weekend. She was pretty pissed off having been left to sit for so long, but after about fifty miles of chugging and threatening to stall at stop lights, she's purring again. I have a date with my mechanic for a week from Sunday to change out the transmission seals and replace the power steering pump.

While I had her out, Nate just had to park his little Spitfire, "Mouse" next to her for a picture. We also took the opportunity of free garage space to try and fit her with some seats we rescued from an old Porche. Unfortunately, they were too wide and had to be returned to the scrap Yard.

Today we got back to work on Helen's paint, and managed to reach a final finish that we are pretty happy with. Tomorrow we should get the other half of the car done, and then start on the roof. I am not strong enough to control the buffer, so I got to work on cleaning up the chrome. It's a hell of a chore, and rather makes me wish I had a working DVD player. This would be a perfect task for camping out on the couch in the evenings.
      I have learned that aircraft paint remover gets the old paint off without harming the chrome, and carb cleaner works wonders for the tarry black road grime. As for the chrome polish, it works great if you ignore the instructions, and actually scrub with it while wet instead of just waiting for it to dry and then buffing it off. I got much better results and faster with my method.

Because we had to take Nate's seats back, we decided we might be able to get a new seat for Helen instead. After unbolting the old one, we found that from the underside it's still in pretty good shape. The gearing is fascinating, and I love the little coachmaker badges. Also, modern caddy seats are a bit narrow. I could make a set of side-by sides work, but I'm afraid they may look awkward. We are going to explore refurbishing the current split bench before deciding to replace it. While the seat is out, I'll seal the floor and toss in some new carpet.

So anyway, back to the exterior - I've got my fingers crossed that I'll be able to put her chrome back on and have her reassembled within a week or so.

Attached Files

Comment

My God that looks Effin Amazing...

Comment

Are you hitting on Nate..?

Traveler, you've made us green with envy!!! Can hardly wait to see Helen in person.

Local free Craigslist last week had 2 perfect take-off front benches out of late model Crown Vics (1 navy, 1 gray). I emailed with the same thought and they were already gone. Might want to check the width on those at a yard.

Comment

Thank you!

So, I found a great deal on getting Helen's seat redone... But I don't have the $300. We tried to go after a nice set of front seats in a wrecked caddy from the local "You Pull It" yard, but there was no way to get power to the electronics, and without being able to move the seats, we couldn't get at the bolts. After an hour sweating and swearing, Nate spotted a Ford pick-up with a blue bench. $25 later, Helen has a seat that will work for now.

We still have most of the roof and the back door to go as far as the buffing. I have hours of work left to get the chrome clean. Every day she looks a little better.

Onward...

Comment

So how many times can I say she's "almost" done?

A lot, apparently.

I got Helen on the lift today, and Nate helped me replace the rear seal on the transmission and drain the oil. We dropped her down and replaced the fluids, then swapped out the power steering pump.

A few friends joined in and we got quite a bit of chrome put back, and the front floor sealed and carpeted. The temporary seat is bolted in place.

If I had just been able to get a few more pieces bolted down, I'd have taken her home.

Soon.
              Attached Files

Comment

Looks great.
                You should try and retake that sig pic now with the new colors, but at the same place and same pose.

Comment

This car make s my heart skip a beat.

*sigh*
                  " 59 or 60 superior landau... that's all I want in life. When will it be my time lord?" -someday

Comment

All those curves and bends are gonna be your trouble, but those long flat and slow arches will be easy. Just make sure you get rid of that rust or it will come right back to get ya. Rust killer and primer sealer is a must. Don't think of it as the big ass thing it is, but rather just one small area at a time, and then blend it all in when you have each panel done. Duplicolor has a paint system for dummies, and I'm sure I could even use it. My first car I painted was no show car, but it did get compliments. but My advice is to NOT use a base coat clear coat job. Its so much easier to just do acrylic or a one step system that can be color sanded and buffed if ever scratched.

Comment

Originally posted by Possmguts View Post
                      All those curves and bends are gonna be your trouble, but those long flat and slow arches will be easy. Just make sure you get rid of that rust or it will come right back to get ya. Rust killer and primer sealer is a must. Don't think of it as the big ass thing it is, but rather just one small area at a time, and then blend it all in when you have each panel done. Duplicolor has a paint system for dummies, and I'm sure I could even use it. My first car I painted was no show car, but it did get compliments. but My advice is to NOT use a base coat clear coat job. Its so much easier to just do acrylic or a one step system that can be color sanded and buffed if ever scratched.
                      Pretty sure this car has been painted for almost a year now...

Comment

Working...
                      X