Can anyone top this rust?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone top this rust?

Here are pics of my baby... before pics that is. I'll be working on replacing the rusty bits this week. I have the entire bottom 12" of a '58 Fleetwood as donor metal. I hope the rockers are long enough....
    SDC10829.jpgSDC10839.jpgSDC10835.jpgSDC10828.jpgSDC10833.jpgSDC10834.jpgSDC10832.jpgSDC10836.jpgSDC10830.jpgSDC10831.jpg

And i thought my oldsmobile was going to need lots of metal. Its not really to far behind you i will also be about rebuilding the coach body. I also have a couple of parts car that i will be able to scavage to build it. How the frame on yours?

Comment

Frame is sold for the most part. The right front lower control arm mounts had issues, but I cut the frame and installed a Camaro Z28 front clip... no more rusty mounts! I also got disc brakes, sway bar, and easy to locate front end parts to boot! The down side was the steering box is now in front of the frame, so the steering column is at a different angle than stock. But doing things this way allowed me to swap on '79 Deville front spindles and rotors to get 12" discs and 5 on 5 bolt pattern again! Woohoo! The only other frame area that I worry about is rear of the differential. I see some potential weak spots.... if so, I'll graft in fresh steel.

Comment

wow that would have looked like a total loss to me :O My rust suddenly does not look as bad. Want to come help with mine after you finish? :P

Comment

Check out some of the rust repair they do in this forum:
          Classified ads, photos, shows, links, forums, and technical information for the Volkswagen automobile

Granted, they have readily available reproduction sheet metal, but they tackle some that I would never have imagined could be saved! There's a thread about one VW bus that was pulled off of the bottom of a river and restored!!!
          As for helping to repair your rust... Only after I have my coach roadworthy... then we can discuss it. Gotta have my priorities!

Comment

haha! My priority is getting it running again right now after the manifold bolts breaking ugh right before october too

Comment

This is the reconstruction of the rear door. I removed the window frame and stored it safely out of harms way. Then I started to assess the damage... it was bad... real bad. I had to replace the top 1", where the pinch weld is, and the bottom 10" of the skin. I would have replaced all of it, but it's a compund curve... a real bitch to replicate. I cut away the damaged bits and ground out bondo, cut some more rust out, cut even more rust out and then started fabbing the pieces needed to rebuild the door. Here are pics:
              SDC10845.jpgSDC10841.jpgSDC10842.jpgSDC10848.jpgSDC10844.jpgSDC10840.jpgSDC10843.jpgSDC10850.jpgSDC10849.jpgSDC10847.jpg

Comment

I will never complain about rust again. Ever.

Comment

Musikill, aren't you s'posed to be sleeping? You're s'posed ta wake my ass up tomorrow... Anyway, I need a picture of the bottom of a 57, 58, or 59 Superior rear door. There is an additional brace that was mostly gone on mine that I'd like to recreate.... anyone?

Comment

Here is the rustiest thing I ever had - and then Richard had because it broke my heart.

Comment

Originally posted by Psychoholic View Post
                      Here is the rustiest thing I ever had - and then Richard had because it broke my heart.

http://psychoholic.net/savoy/
                      You know, when this topic popped up I wanted to bring up the Savoy, but didn't want to see a grown man cry....................again.

Comment

Wow, ok, that might be a contender! Poor beast looks abused and neglected...

Comment

I love those 57-58 plymouths i have had 2 4dr's but no 2dr ht yet. I do have a 57 desoto 2dr ht. You got to love those finned mopars. Happy to say the desoto is pretty clean but it will need some floor work and one rocker. but its pretty nice though.

Comment

Nice to see that it is saved and not sent to the scrapper. Keep up the good work.
                            Originally posted by Beladona_13 View Post
                            This is the reconstruction of the rear door. I removed the window frame and stored it safely out of harms way. Then I started to assess the damage... it was bad... real bad. I had to replace the top 1", where the pinch weld is, and the bottom 10" of the skin. I would have replaced all of it, but it's a compund curve... a real bitch to replicate. I cut away the damaged bits and ground out bondo, cut some more rust out, cut even more rust out and then started fabbing the pieces needed to rebuild the door. Here are pics:
                            [ATTACH=CONFIG]6883[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]6884[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]6885[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]6886[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]6887[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]6888[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]6889[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]6890[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]6891[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]6892[/ATTACH]

Comment

Originally posted by tonytheskin View Post
                              You know, when this topic popped up I wanted to bring up the Savoy, but didn't want to see a grown man cry....................again.
                              ***sigh***

Comment

Working...
                              X