No announcement yet.

FS: parting '67 Superior Crown Sovereign

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, having the old glass out of there doesn't really bother me -- half of it was completely gone anyway, at least there's no jagged pieces hanging off anymore. I read a piece a long time ago about a company that makes race car windshields, if the folks at Safelite don't find anything, I might look into polycarbonate.

Comment

Yep, it worked for me for 10+ years, the only drawback is you can't run windshield wipers on it, unless you have it coated, and that's pretty expensive. I don't drive my car if the weather it bad anyway, so it didn't effect me at all. There is a thread on how to make one yourself at home on here somewhere.

Here's the thread: http://www.nationalhearse.net/forums...ighlight=lexan

I really hope they find you one, but if not, it's a good alternative.

Comment

Well, I am very, very tempted by that lexan idea, but now that I just have a hole and no pattern... Hmm...

I just called Safelite back for the second time (that's lettin' 'em have about a week between calls, I guess), and they say they "can't find anything, but if you do find one, we'll come back out and put it in for you." So after I hung up, I called Pillkington. $400 for the glass, $110 to crate and ship, then whatever it takes to get it put in. I kinda wonder if Safelite did check with Pilkington and went "huh-oh, we can't make this deal happen for our original quoted price!"

I told him I was gonna check with my glass guy who takes care of us here at the car lot (since the Safelite guy was, ahem, struggling as it was), and the salesman at Pilkington said it was definitely a two-sets-of-hands kinda job. Honestly, I kinda wanted to "sleep on it" and then make up my mind.

Comment

There is nothing like real glass.

The polycarb deal is only if you can't find one (which is usually the case), or you can't afford it if you did, lol.

I feel ya, I went through what you're going through for over 10 years, till I found a new real one myself.

$510 doesn't sound bad at all, mine was $1200 and came from Mexico

Keep us posted.

Comment

I agree with Creepy Cruiser on the price. I was told the windshield for my 73 was going to be $750, just windshield. If you get a new windshield, get glass coverage on your insurance. That way if something happens to it you don't have to worry.

Comment

Well, I (finally) gave in and called my guy at Pilkington back -- I had a couple pretty busy weeks at work and between my mood and the overtime checks, I went ahead and ordered the $510 windshield. He said the travel time was "five to seven working days," so I'm that much closer.

Comment

It's in! My local glass guy came this morning, brought his own sidekick (so it's not MY hands on it if it gets broken, haha) and now it's in there!

Windshield, goin' in! by TwentyCarlo, on Flickr

The hardest part is done... Up next: probably an avalanche of other little stuff. We replaced some corroded freeze plugs today, then discovered a leaky water pump, and a pinhole in a top corner of the radiator, and once we got it on the lift, eh, it looks like it's been leaking a little bit of transmission fluid for a long time. But the windshield is in, so the hardest part is done!

Comment

Nice!

Comment

Working...
                  X