Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.
FS: parting '67 Superior Crown Sovereign
Collapse
X
-
It's in! My local glass guy came this morning, brought his own sidekick (so it's not MY hands on it if it gets broken, haha) and now it's in there!

Windshield, goin' in! by TwentyCarlo, on Flickr
The hardest part is done... Up next: probably an avalanche of other little stuff. We replaced some corroded freeze plugs today, then discovered a leaky water pump, and a pinhole in a top corner of the radiator, and once we got it on the lift, eh, it looks like it's been leaking a little bit of transmission fluid for a long time. But the windshield is in, so the hardest part is done!
Leave a comment:
-
Well, I (finally) gave in and called my guy at Pilkington back -- I had a couple pretty busy weeks at work and between my mood and the overtime checks, I went ahead and ordered the $510 windshield. He said the travel time was "five to seven working days," so I'm that much closer.
Leave a comment:
-
I agree with Creepy Cruiser on the price. I was told the windshield for my 73 was going to be $750, just windshield. If you get a new windshield, get glass coverage on your insurance. That way if something happens to it you don't have to worry.
Leave a comment:
-
There is nothing like real glass.
The polycarb deal is only if you can't find one (which is usually the case), or you can't afford it if you did, lol.
I feel ya, I went through what you're going through for over 10 years, till I found a new real one myself.
$510 doesn't sound bad at all, mine was $1200 and came from Mexico
Keep us posted.
Leave a comment:
-
Well, I am very, very tempted by that lexan idea, but now that I just have a hole and no pattern... Hmm...
I just called Safelite back for the second time (that's lettin' 'em have about a week between calls, I guess), and they say they "can't find anything, but if you do find one, we'll come back out and put it in for you." So after I hung up, I called Pillkington. $400 for the glass, $110 to crate and ship, then whatever it takes to get it put in. I kinda wonder if Safelite did check with Pilkington and went "huh-oh, we can't make this deal happen for our original quoted price!"
I told him I was gonna check with my glass guy who takes care of us here at the car lot (since the Safelite guy was, ahem, struggling as it was), and the salesman at Pilkington said it was definitely a two-sets-of-hands kinda job. Honestly, I kinda wanted to "sleep on it" and then make up my mind.
Leave a comment:
-
Yep, it worked for me for 10+ years, the only drawback is you can't run windshield wipers on it, unless you have it coated, and that's pretty expensive. I don't drive my car if the weather it bad anyway, so it didn't effect me at all. There is a thread on how to make one yourself at home on here somewhere.
Here's the thread: http://www.nationalhearse.net/forums...ighlight=lexan
I really hope they find you one, but if not, it's a good alternative.
Leave a comment:
-
Well, having the old glass out of there doesn't really bother me -- half of it was completely gone anyway, at least there's no jagged pieces hanging off anymore. I read a piece a long time ago about a company that makes race car windshields, if the folks at Safelite don't find anything, I might look into polycarbonate.
Leave a comment:
-
Yep, unfortunately, that's exactly what I figured would happen. They all think that the limo is the same, but it's not. In a round about way, I was trying to warn you to check the glass before he even starting taking out the old one. I ran a home made polycarbonate windshield in mine for 10 years, before we finally found one in Mexico and had it ship here.
Good luck to you, post back what you find out from them. (chances are, you'll have to make a polycarbonate one also for a while too, if you want to drive it)
Leave a comment:
-
Well, the one word report is "Dammit."
I'm not completely angry though -- I'm still excited about getting to drive it for the first time today, even if it was only just out to the front of the lot to meet the Safelite guy. I also have the good news that even though I do have a hole rusted in the floor near the driver's left foot, I do not have any rust around the windshield frame, so yay.
Safelite guy pried the trim off, asked for help to pop the hood (heh), cut the old broken glass out, and meticulously prepared the hole with shaving, grinding, chemicals, and a beautiful bead of glue...
In the interest of documenting my excitement, took a picture of the windshield laying on his little sawhorse beside the van, I kinda thought it didn't look tall enough, but I didn't say anything because he had looked a little confused when I opened the hood and said "watch those corners, they'll getcha."
I was back and forth between the hearse and the office, answering phones and such, so I didn't get to see it happen; but apparently he carried the windshield to the hole and almost stuck it in that beautiful bead of glue, then he realized he had the wrong piece of glass. Whups.
They're supposed to call me so he can come back and try again when they find the right piece of glass. Sigh...
Leave a comment:
-
^ x2! Really hope it ends up being correct glass. Please report back.
Leave a comment:
-
Post back and let us know if it turns out to be the correct one. Every time they told me they had one, it turned out they were assuming that the ones for the limos were the same, but they are not. I hope it works out for you. If so, I'm going to buy a couple for myself and stash them away, lol. I don't ever want to have to wait another 10 years to find another one for my car, lol.
Leave a comment:
-
Hey, I know I'm a bit of a lurker here, and I apologize for grabbing an OLD thread, but I just had to get on here and say THANK YOU for posting that info -- I just got off the phone with Safelite, they're coming to put the windshield in my '68 tomorrow afternoon. The lady I talked to on the phone was a real sweetie and she seemed to know her stuff -- I know the post I saved as a screen-grab was from 2009, but the price hasn't gone up much, $256.33 really doesn't seem too bad, and part of it is a "disposal fee," presumably to make sure the old pieces don't end up in a creek. (haha) Seriously though, THANK YOU for posting, tomorrow I'll be one step closer to having it back on the road and I'm so excited I can't stand myself.Originally posted by LadyChauffer View PostNow, are you sitting down? You guys are gonna jump all over this one.
We carry it in stock, for one.
Secondly, the INSTALLED price is $217.95 plus tax.
Sorry Creepy Cruiser, you got ripped off.
Safelite offers a FREE mobile replacement and repair service. It's the same cost if you take it into our shop. So for those of you guys who don't have your coach running, or you just want them to come to you, no biggy.
Leave a comment:
-
This is the style. I didn't move 'stuff' in the back and only shot a couple that were nicked up near the rear door.Attached Files
Leave a comment:
Leave a comment: