No announcement yet.

501 Cadillac Hearse Motor For Sale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good luck putting a 500 in a 64, ain't nothing nice.

Comment

64 should have a 429 and a jetaway right?

Comment

The CC has the jetaway, most of the others got the 1 yr only turbo 400. .@64 cadillac, a location would help, there are parts around, especially if Your on the east coast. Putting a 472/500 in a 64 requires a rear sump pan among other things. I pulled the 429/jetaway out of Mine and heading toward the 454/turbo 400. I have a 500, but the chevy I hope will prove a little easier than a 500.

Comment

Originally posted by travlinman View Post
          Good luck putting a 500 in a 64, ain't nothing nice.
          It's not that bad. we put a 71 Buick 455 in my 55 Cadillac. Tranny and all.

Comment

You want nice and easy?...Myself and a few other less that sober friends took a 425 Caddy and dropped it in a junk '79 Monty Carlo for shits n giggles. We simply turned the mounts upside down and switched sides with them "1 bolt per side is safe enough right?",gently "massaged" the firewall/trans tunnel with a 12 lb sledge and ran a loop in the heater hoses....and other than having a custom driveshaft made at a friend's shop, Tada! Passenger side front wheel would come off the ground 3 inches when prompted.

Comment

My post was directed @ 64 Cad. We have all done crazy swaps over the years. In the 70s I had a 327 in a Vega, before the motion kits came out. A 396 in a S10. A 455 Buick is not a Cad 500. Whole different ball game. 64 Cad says He's looking to restore. He needs a 390 or a 1964 429 to save a lot of head aches. On these forums Everybody is different and We do not know The extent of Their mechanical/fabrication skills. 472/500s have been put in a 64, but it takes more work than anything above. The 64 is a 1yr only engine/tranny combo. If He or I had a 65, this conversation would be way different.

Comment

well how about this anyone done a 68 472 to 67 429 swap

Comment

The last year for the 500 was in 1976, they also offered a 425 and a 472, I do not believe there was a 472 offered after 1974 and being a large car, the chances are good what U have is a 500 Cadillac motor, this is one of the finest motors for building hot rods out of, light and, never forget; "no replacement for displacement"

The easiest and fastest way to Identify is to check the data plate on the core support, if the motor seems original and the data plate says 500ci, it is likely a 500 Cadillac, if the core support is missing or U find the motor loose on the ground, it is more difficult, the only real difference between the 500 and the older 472 is the crankshaft, the HEI Distributor is a helpful clue as pointed out by highbars but that can be changed, in some cases I have resorted to removing the oil pan to get the casting number off the crankshaft, it is well worth a little research, this is one of the best references I have found: http://www.cad500parts.com/tech/EngineIDPages.pdf

Cadillac_500.jpg

Comment

Working...
                  X