'57 Superior Landaulet 602 sideloader

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '57 Superior Landaulet 602 sideloader

Photographed and took notes on this rare coach last week. It sits on the same NC property where a friend purchased the '56 S&S high top. I am not the owner.

Obviously for restoration. Last tagged in '68 and hasn't moved in about 15 years. I've seen about a dozen '57 Superiors in the last 20 years and this makes only the second landau. Here are pertinent bits if you're looking for a '50s project:

GOOD
    -All trim & stainless present (including all 4 $$$ long 1/4 pieces).
    -All glass good.
    -Body never been hit/repaired/hidden accident damage.
    -Both taillights present, w/ good gas hinge.
    -50k original miles.
    -Rear bumper straight & solid to replate.
    -Factory Lev-L-Matic; top of line hearse.

BAD
    -Radiator stolen.
    -Hood fubar'd when thief stole radiator.
    -Each front fender will need lower dogleg patches. Driver's side better.
    -Needs front floors (solid from under front seat back).
    -Needs front rocker work.
    -Bottoms of front doors need a little work.
    -Electric table missing.
    -No title.

With a different hood this project looks much better. I do know where a '57 Superior table is sitting elsewhere IF going back to original. Mechanism opening rear side doors are both stuck. They require lubrication and I did not not force them to open. Even given issues, not knowing engine provenance, owner is reasonable hanging a $1700 price tag. If parted there is over twice that amount (conservatively) here. Frankly, I don't want to see this parted. I'll pass contact info along privately with the understanding that price will not move much, highly doubtful at all. He's the type to sit on stuff if asking price isn't met.

The company I use for open transport is currently quoting .75/mile.

Wow. That's a great project...someones gonna get a deal on that and have a sweet coach when its done.

Comment

Atti, I really hope this isn't a dumb question, but I can't find much info. Please keep in mind I'm a bit green still on pro cars, learning everyday. My query is what makes a coach a landaulet? How would one distinguish between a Landau and a Landaulet? Thanks!

Comment

Landaulet was a Superior-specific marketing term to separate themselves. Landaulet=landau.

Comment

Ahh great. Thanks for clearing that up for me!

Comment

Nice 57

I would be interested in purchasing the Superior...If anyone has contact info...do please contact me with it.

Comment

That looks like an awesome project, and a very fair asking price.

It reminds me of how bad mine started out at the beginning, lol. This on is way more complete than mine was.

Comment

Yes...That is one beautiful old witch...hopefully I can woo her with my charms to come hither.

Comment

Well...I've gone and bought the '57...can't wait until it gets here so I can start nursing it's wounds! Start stocking up on parts for me guys Lol!!!

Comment

Good to hear another car was pulled from the weeds.

Comment

Congrats Apostle! Keep us posted on progress. Love to see how this beauty comes together!!

Comment

Meant to mark this SOLD pending payment. Fortunate to have reconnected w/ Apostle after a few years and have a hand in finding the '57 a home.

Comment

Yes Atti...I'd like to thank you again for the info leading towards obtaining the 602. I cannot recall exactly how many were produced but I do know it was a small run. The coach arrived here a few days ago and I'd like to say that it is actually in far better shape than those pics would register. Prepping the old girl today matter of fact for disassembly and teardown for the "frame off" she desperately needs. She currently has a nice roof over her head via a '100 x '35 heated garage and will not suffer another night out in the weedpatch Lol! I'll try to keep you guys current with pics of the process....and thanks again for the positive comments!

Comment

Glad to see someone not affraid of some hard work to bring a car back to life. The folks at the PCS site shy away from a car if it needs more than 2 pieces of chrome. Forget about it if it needs a piece of glass. Your hard work will be well rewarded.

Comment

Very glad to hear that the coach was better than anticipated. Erring on side of caution when describing is the way to go.

Found the pics mentioned of the '57 in Ontario that may donate table & interior pieces. Hood doesn't even look bad... It would take you a trip to remove yourself though.

Comment

Working...
                              X