1977 Cadillac Superior Landau... Questions!!! <3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1977 Cadillac Superior Landau... Questions!!! <3

First off, warning ya grammar and spelling is effed from the jump. I know that, I don't care. <3

Okay I bought it on monday and drove it home from VA. It made it 200 miles before there was an issue. A belt slipped and did not have another one so called a tow. Thank god or AAA. The radiator was replaced before I took it home by the most awesomeness person I know. as well as hoses and belts.

question- When driving it the belt for the smog pump, main crank and fan slipped. Got it towed from the location I was at due to the fact it was after midnight and no where was open. (So now have two of every belt). after I got it back to the house and put new belt on, put in fuel injector cleaner, topped off tranny fluid(it was low almost none). There are 2 small holes in the exhaust as well. It is making a chugging noise and will not idle well now at all. Which it did not do when I first drove it. When I come to a complete stop it will stall out. Have no idea what I need to fix next. But learned to keep belts with me at all times now lol. If anyone can help it would be awesome. Thank you for your time.
    Last edited by Zombina; 02-21-2013, 12:55 AM.

Should I need to drop in a new fuel pump? Could that be the idling issue? Or rebuild the carbs?

Comment

some of us have had similar problems with idling down after coming to a stop. try replacing your fuel filter and check the ignition system. might be time for new plugs, wires, cap, coil, etc.

Comment

OKay! Thank you! I am hoping it is something as easy as that, and not a blockage in the Cat, or a yoked up carb. Am going to get plugs for it, as well as new filters. She feels like she does not want to accelerate past 45mph. Any advice would be amazing! Now I am kinda of happy I did not go for the older one first, hard enough trying to get parts for her... O' Riley's is the only one that helps with out that look of total confusion...

Comment

Might also want to check for vac hose leaks, or a stuck EGR valve [if your engine has one].

Comment

if the exhaust was restricted, you will have more of a popping, misfiring, choking, jarring action. At least that is my particular experience with GM vehicles. I had the exhaust clog up a couple of times on my old chevy truck.

I was thinking you were describing a condition where it feels like it isn't getting enough fuel.

Comment

When you put the car in park or neutral, does it idle ok? Only stalls out when in gear and stopped? When you added transmssion fluid, how much did you have to add, was the car running while you checked it, did it smell burnt?

Comment

Originally posted by ryan_ricks View Post
                if the exhaust was restricted, you will have more of a popping, misfiring, choking, jarring action. At least that is my particular experience with GM vehicles. I had the exhaust clog up a couple of times on my old chevy truck.

I was thinking you were describing a condition where it feels like it isn't getting enough fuel.
                I am thinking it is going to be a few dif things, as you said before I am going to go thru on sunday and replace plugs, filters and the what not. I am also going to order an Ele fuel pump. As for the jarring motion, it is kinda like she is just shaking, or air humping. If that even makes sense. Wondering if I should remove the Cats as well...

Comment

Originally posted by Dickey View Post
                  When you put the car in park or neutral, does it idle ok? Only stalls out when in gear and stopped? When you added transmssion fluid, how much did you have to add, was the car running while you checked it, did it smell burnt?

It does not idle when in park, it will at first but if I let it set for about 3 min, its starts struggling. Also when I removed the air filter the butterfly valve is stuck. And I know I will def need a new EGR hose. If indeed the sheet metal line hose on top of the engine is the EGR.. As for tranny fluid I had to add a qt and a half. But I think the reason is because the lines where cut when the new radiator was added. It was and no it was not burnt.

Comment

By the way thank you all for your advice. I just want her to be running well and def need help with it. <3

Comment

i would definitely remove the cat if it is legal to do so in your area.

Comment

There are 2 on it. It is from what I know of I will double check today, it being a 77 I do not have to get it inspected. Would that be good for her tho? Cut down on back pressure? And would I have to remove it anyways to drop the gas tank? I am so sending you cookies for all the help.

Comment

Originally posted by Zombina View Post
                          There are 2 on it. It is from what I know of I will double check today, it being a 77 I do not have to get it inspected. Would that be good for her tho? Cut down on back pressure? And would I have to remove it anyways to drop the gas tank? I am so sending you cookies for all the help.
                          On an N/A daily driver you'll want some backpressure. Just not a lot of it. If you're replacing the entire exhausts system anyway [like if its all rusted out and needs to be done], I would go ahead and use performance catalytics. They've improved a lot since the '70s and shouldn't cause any notable performance or fuel economy hit & it would make it easier if you ever end up moving to a state that checks for them. Does your car have a dual exhaust to begin with? If not, crossmember might need to be notched for it in order to put one on.

Have you tried adjusting the idle setting on the carb?

Comment

[QUOTE=sgath92;68709]On an N/A daily driver you'll want some backpressure. Just not a lot of it. If you're replacing the entire exhausts system anyway [like if its all rusted out and needs to be done], I would go ahead and use performance catalytics. They've improved a lot since the '70s and shouldn't cause any notable performance or fuel economy hit & it would make it easier if you ever end up moving to a state that checks for them. Does your car have a dual exhaust to begin with? If not, crossmember might need to be notched for it in order to put one on.

Have you tried adjusting the idle setting on the carb?[/QUOTE

The exhaust is fine for the most part, nothing really bad happening there. it is a single exhaust. Def want it to be a daily driver. Have not tried adjusting it yet. Will in the morning. Tomorrow will be the first day I have had off since I have had it. I know when I removed the air filter the butterfly on the carb was stuck...

Comment

If the butterfly mechanism is somehow stuck/jammed, that's likely at least part of your problem. Though I don't know what would be causing it to jam up.

Comment

Working...
                              X