Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

time to rip off the vinyl top- how to remove it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• time to rip off the vinyl top- how to remove it?

it looks as though i need to remove the chrome trim around the edges, does it just pop off or is there some special magical force holding it on there?

You need some hard, pipe hittin' niggas to go to work on it...with a pair of pliers and a blowtorch.

actually, I dont know how to remove a vinyl top. I just watched Pulp Fiction again.

Comment

I still don't know how to get the l bars off.

Comment

sighs........
        O.k. Here's the deal. MOST if not all pre 1976 cars had large peices of chrome moulding at the base of the vinyl, these pop off pretty easily, they are held on by a bunch of square plastic/nylon moulding clips. Most of the time the moulding goes back on very easily, sometimes you have to replace the clips, which are amazingly easy to do and easy to find, when you are ready , i'll send you a link to the site to get them.
        As far as the landau bars on the later models, most of them have these little caps that pop into the ends of the bars. The circular tip part. Pop these out and you will see either a hex head bolt, that is usually 7/16, or you will see a huge phillips head screw. Don't try to use a regular phillips head screw driver or you will strip it. Go to the hardware store and get a bigger tipped screwdriver. Now on SOME models, especially superiors, there is also a cap, usually diamond shaped, in the center of the bar as well, that has a bolt or large screw in it.
        Now let me stress to you that if you don't be extremely carefull with these caps, you will scratch/bend/ or otherwise fuck them up and they will look like shit afterwards. So use caution.

Comment

billy is right on the mark about the landau bars.

Comment

Post the link for the clips anyways - jackass.

Comment

Originally posted by Psychoholic View Post
              +1 yeah...jackass...LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Psychoholic View Post

clips and more assjackers

Comment

Originally posted by northgahearse View Post
                  there. now i don't have to. cunts!

Comment

thanks. its the chrome trim i was wondering about. so i just pry/pop em out and get new clips if needed

my bars have spin on ends and hex heads under em

now a D/A and some ospho outta take care of what i find under there hopefully and does 800 sound right for line-x to get put on there or should i shop around?

Comment

You aren't going to be happy with what you find under there. I can promise you that.

Post pics about how you do it, I'd love to see an article written about how it's done.

Comment

will do. ive noticed there not really a place to put projects here.

Comment

I can fix that in about 2 seconds.

Good idea.

Comment

I made a project section - good idea dude!

Comment

YAY!!!! Jackasses!

Comment

Working...
                              X