No announcement yet.

2 ?'s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think it'd fit in the 70s coaches. might be too tall though and have to do something with the hood.

I wanted to use a Duramax but I lost all faith in GM/Izuzu over the 6.6s. Those bosch fuel injectors suck so bad, you're lucky to get 100k miles on a truck

Comment

I'm following a guy's photobucket right now where they owner is putting a 6.5 GM turbo Diesel in a 46 hearse. He may be a member on this board. He's added some recent updated shots here:

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

There's also a guy dropping a Cummins into a passenger Fleetwood here:

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

I have a donor Cummins engine ready to go into my '57 Eureka, but my daily driver 7.3 powerstroke keeps going out (I think the IDM is shot) and I end up driving the donor Cummins truck.

Comment

That certainly has enough torque to get out of the way. =)

Comment

What diesel engine are you thinking of? GM, since the 70's, has made some very weak attempts to put a diesel engine into an automobile. Some of them went less than 20k miles before failure. I'm not sure which engine they used with the Hummer...as I recall, someone tried to say that they had a special engine that could run diesel, gasoline, Chivas Regal, or whatever, but when I asked for details, I was accused of racism or anti-Americanism or something. I really don't miss Stodd at all.

Having just gotten 8.1 mpg bobtailing from Ohio to AZ, and having owned a diesel Cutlass, I have very little respect for diesel engines right now, but will be happy to help if I can.

Here's a happy thought for ya...the diesel engine in a semi, when loaded, can haul 2000# of freight 100 miles for less than 1 gallon of fuel. The diesel engine in our semi also burns less fuel per hour than the four-cylinder gasoline engine in our four-place airplane...but there is no way in Gawd's green hell that I would put a diesel engine in a hearse. The newer coaches get 30 mpg and cost money to buy, the older ones get 9 mpg and cost a little here and there for parts, but there isn't anything all that complicated about them...especially when you have so many wonderful people here who are willing to help.

-d

Comment

I considered putting a diesel in my '58. Even went so far as to buy the only diesel I could think of that'd bolt right up to my Cadillac TH400. 5.7L olds in an 81 Eldorado. I drove it for a week... what a gutless turd! I used to build 6.2 and 6.5 liter GM, and 6.9 and 7.3 liter Fords for a living. Somehow I just assumed that the 5.7 olds would compare a little more readily. I polished that car up and sold it for twice what I payed for it... no harm no foul! All rambling aside, I'll stick with my torque monster 472s and 500s.

Comment

Somehow I just assumed that the 5.7 olds would compare a little more readily
              Well, you weren't alone. They sold a bunch of those cars, back in the days of the 1-year warranty. Some of them were converted to gas engines, the rest of them became parts and scrap. Imagine how stupid you would feel 20 years from now if your kids of grandkids found out that you paid $41,000 for a Chevy Volt!

-d

Comment

Originally posted by Beladona_13 View Post
                I considered putting a diesel in my '58. Even went so far as to buy the only diesel I could think of that'd bolt right up to my Cadillac TH400. 5.7L olds in an 81 Eldorado. I drove it for a week... what a gutless turd! I used to build 6.2 and 6.5 liter GM, and 6.9 and 7.3 liter Fords for a living. Somehow I just assumed that the 5.7 olds would compare a little more readily. I polished that car up and sold it for twice what I payed for it... no harm no foul! All rambling aside, I'll stick with my torque monster 472s and 500s.

They make adapters to mate Cummins 5.9s with turbo 400s.

Comment

Working...
                X