transmission trouble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• transmission trouble

I want some advice, before I take my hearse to a transmission shop. My 73 Cadillac hearse is not shifting from first to second correctly. It stays in first to long and when it does shift it is a hard shift. I haven't drove Her much since She was getting painted. This started happening right before soda blasting and paint. I changed the transmission filter and fluid, but that made no change. I had the transmission worked on two years ago October and the clutches were changed.
    Even if it is something major, I would like to know before I talk to a transmission shop.
    Thanks, Josh

try a new modulator valve on the side of the tranny its cheep
    and check all vacuum lines ..... one little leak and it will not shift just like it sounds .......

Comment

Originally posted by northgahearse View Post
      try a new modulator valve on the side of the tranny its cheep
      and check all vacuum lines ..... one little leak and it will not shift just like it sounds .......
      Agreed

Comment

i agree

Comment

My problem was the pump (ran fine but took a while to go into gear at first start up - cold).

Comment

I was also thinking about the modulator.
            Just remember that when you drain the pan, it is only 3 out of 12 quarts of fluid.

Comment

Thanks for the help. As soon as it quits raining here, I will change the modulator valve and check the vacuum lines. It has been raining here all week.

Comment

My 80 S&S seems to be slow to go into reverse. There is a vacuum line that goes from a metal line to the modulator. It's only a few inches long and makes a 90 degree turn. Looks pretty dry rotted. Time to break out the ramps and the creeper again.

Comment

I followed my transmission line and found were a hose is disconnected behind the carb. I don't know to reconnect it. I included pictures, the last picture is my ramps and "creeper". It's not the best, but it works.

Comment

I couldn't get the pictures to upload so here is my photobucket. I also have pictures of my hearse before, during, and after paint. Here is the link http://s179.photobucket.com/albums/w...orml_13/Abbie/

Comment

I think that metal tube presses into the hole on the carb. Nice paint job. Cool Line-X top. May have to do that to my 80. How much does it run?

Comment

line-x on a 71 S&S was around $550.00 a few years ago. i'm not sure what it would be on an 80.

Comment

It cost $600, but it might be different at different Line-X's. It's not crinkle, but I like it.

Comment

it really depends on if you do the prep work or if they do.

Comment

I'll do the prep. But can't decide between line-x or paint it gray to match the rest of the car. But I can tell i gots problems under the top. Biggest rust i found is about 2" across.

Comment

Working...
                              X