No announcement yet.

hearse cutoff driving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Having the same problem. I replaced the coil again no change. I was told I need a ballast resistor between the ignition wire and coil. The points eliminator I have is an Accel.

Comment

I didn't think you needed a ballast resistor when using points eliminator.

Comment

Originally posted by spastic_chicken View Post
        I didn't think you needed a ballast resistor when using points eliminator.
        i had one on my 70 before i went hei but im with chicken that it said to remove the resistor wire and hard wire 12v to it.
        but what killed mine was my voltage reg went bad and 18 volts killed it .. and i heard someplace that jumpstarting a car can kill it as well

Comment

If you guys are referring to the resistor that attaches to the coil bracket and has a single wire that attaches to the positive side of the coil. That is only used as a supressor for noise in your stereo. I actually contacted pertronix as to whether this was needed with their kit. Their response was, if you get a whining noise in your stereo without it, then put it back. lol

An interesting side note. Northga states that his points eliminator was killed when his voltage regulator went out. Well, I installed a single wire alternator with an internal regulator. Maybe this has something to do with the fact that I have had no issues with my pertronix kit.
          Last edited by EternalCombustion; 04-08-2011, 09:54 AM.

Comment

The instructions for the Accel says you need a ballast resistor. http://prestoliteweb.com/Portals/0/d...it_gm_2010.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by Abnorml View Post
              The instructions for the Accel says you need a ballast resistor. http://prestoliteweb.com/Portals/0/d...it_gm_2010.pdf
              Yea, that is not what I was referring to. It looks like the resistor in your wiring diagram is intended to stablize the current running from your ignition switch.

Comment

Working...
              X