Fuel flow issue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel flow issue?

Hey! New to this site, hell, new coach owner to begin with.
    Bought my '81 Fleetwood Superior (368cid 4bbl) about 3 weeks ago; only has 104,xxx on the clock, and runs (relatively) well. Problem is the 'relatively'. As we were driving back from dallas, about 150 miles into the drive, it started surging and choking out, like it wasn't getting fuel. got progressively worse over the next 30 miles or so to the house. Next time it happened, I had driven it on several errands(about 40 mi. worth), and it did it on the way home. Feels like a fuel flow issue, but I'm not 100% sure. Sprayed carb cleaner in it and am going to try it out today, but does anyone have any other suggestions?
    Oh, and before it's asked, I tuned it up immediately after purchase(oil, filter, plugs, wires, dist. cap and rotor, air filter). It was sitting for about 2 years, but almost on empty so there wasn't more than a couple gallons of gas in it.
    I would appreciate any help/ideas!
    thanks

Was a fuel filter included in the tune-up? If you have crap floating around in the tank, you may even plug more than one.

$.02

Comment

oh! yeah, changed it out once, but figured it was good-plus, it only seems to do it after it heats up. I'll check it out again, probably just put a clear one in under the hood for easy access. thanks!

Comment

Could be the coil, spark breaking down once it gets warm.

Comment

That is NOT good news. I was more or less convinced it would be a fuel flow issue. I'll probably have to drive it to the damn shop.
          OH, and the climate controls in the dash are all sorts of jacked/disconnected, and there's a hissing in the cabin as I drive(probably one of the vacuum lines)... once it starts to choke out, the hissing STOPS. LOL is that helpful, or just make it more confusing?

Comment

AHA! A new development: It doesn't have to be hot to choke out- Nailed the throttle leaving the neighborhood and it stalled out for just a second, then moved pretty well, but I can tell it WANTS to move faster.... Thinking might need a carb rebuild??
            And on a more discouraging note, NONE of the parts stores carry what I need. They insist it has an electric fuel pump, when I can trace inlet line from the carb to a mechanical pump on the driver's side of the block. Any suggestions where I can get something along those lines?

Comment

Scott, LorcinLS1, in NOLAprocars just went through this, ended up with a pump from a 79 limo with a 425. His post is under its on, or something like that.

Comment

Originally posted by travlinman View Post
                Scott, LorcinLS1, in NOLAprocars just went through this, ended up with a pump from a 79 limo with a 425. His post is under its on, or something like that.
                Here you go, http://www.nationalhearse.net/forums...ight=fuel+pump

Comment

AWESOME!!! Good thing, because I was about to go thermonuclear on the next guy behind a counter that said, "well, my computer tells me it's electric"! LOL
                  But wait... in that post it said ALL the coaches in '81 were the 8-6-4??? If that's the case I'm buying a 500.

Comment

Originally posted by Good for nothing View Post
                    AWESOME!!! Good thing, because I was about to go thermonuclear on the next guy behind a counter that said, "well, my computer tells me it's electric"! LOL
                    But wait... in that post it said ALL the coaches in '81 were the 8-6-4??? If that's the case I'm buying a 500.
                    The standard Cadillac in 81 had the 8-6-4, the commercial chassis had the 368 engine. Here's what LorcinLS1 wrote, "Limos from what I found are 6.0 , 4-6-8 motors and commercial chassis (Hearses) had the 6.0 carbed option."
                    You need to find a part store that has and uses parts books with the computers. Most people working in the parts stores don't know anything, if it's not in the computer.

Comment

OK. Weight off my mind. Thanks. And yeah, I've noticed... even @ O'reilly (where they claim there's always an ASE mechanic on the staff), they rely so hard on the damn computer that they forget there may be special circumstances. I'll just pull the pump off and see if it matches the one from the '79/425 fleetwood. Then I hope it fixes the issue. Thanks so much for everyone's help... I'm dying to start driving it farther than a couple miles.

Comment

My friend has a 1980 sedan-deville. It has the 368 mechanical fuel pump. Try going back to the parts store and ask for the pump
                        for that car.

Comment

outstanding!! Just looked @ both online, the one for the '79 fleetwood and the '80 CDV and so far, they look like they'll fit. Have to special order it, but it's a step in the right direction.

Comment

Gotta love (hate) parts stores... tried to get a fuel pump once for my 65 Olds 330 "They don't list a 330 in 65"... "Just give me the damn pump for a 350" - off I go

Comment

hey, recently joined the sight myself, had much the same problem with my 71, after I tore the carb apart, I found that it was rust in the gas tank... had to have a new one fabricated, wish i'd popped the filter off the carb before tearing it apart first, quadrajet kits are getting hard to come by...

Comment

Working...
                              X