No announcement yet.

Fuel flow issue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

why did you have to have a gas tank fabricated? If it came to it , it would probably have been cheaper to have your old one redone. Also 71 is fairly common gm tank. many years can fit. Hell i think i am running a 80's tank in my 69.

ware did you have the tank made? Just wondering how much that might cost?

Comment

tried to have the origional redone, but came to find out that there wasn't enough density left in the metal at the bottom around the pick-up tube to remain safe. I had a local welder fab the new tank for me at a pretty marginal price ( $80.00). Currently though, I'm drudging through the wonders of "do it your-self" bodywork. Got to keep ahead of the cancer before it kills the caddy!! Then comes the dubious pleasure of the uncomfortable knock from the 472's valve cover. yeah.

Comment

LOL yeah, they really have their heads up their asses @ parts stores. Sadly, when it comes to coaches, most mechanics do, too....
        I'm hoping to god it's not rust in the tank, so I'm doing just about everything possible to avoid dropping it.... found a LOT of Q-jets on craigslist, like this one-http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/pts/2389511045.html
        But I'm doubting it'd fit.
        I've got my own cancer issue to deal with, apparently right where the windshield meets the top, it got pretty gnarly so the guy siliconed the inside and spray foamed the outside!!! Now I have the pleasure of chiseling that shit out... probably just gonna rip off the top spread some POR-15 and Rhino-line it.

Comment

Yeah you cant miss the mechanical fuel pump on the 368. It was fairly easy to change. Finding it at a part store is the problem. One of them showed it in the diagram as a mechanical, but still listed a electric pump part number.

Comment

Exactly. It's, basically, the only thing sticking out of the drivers side of the block!!

Comment

a guy could be ASE certified in one catagory like exhaust, suspension/steering, brakes...just needs one to say ASE Cert. that's how stores get around using that lingo...the Advance Auto Parts that my shop deals with has a good diverse group of people all have knowledge of various makes...one guy does Hondas, one guy big in GM/Chevy and a lady in nothing buts Dodges. But yeah, most stores just put a keyboard slapping monkey behind the counter.

Comment

Picking up the parts Thursday. If pump and filter don't alleviate it, would re-doing the tank or rebuilding the carb be the better idea for the next step?

Comment

I cannot for the life of me find the fuel filter on my 81. I am having the exact same problem, worse news, I have to get mine fixed no later than August 1st, when my band leaves for our tour in this thing. Advance Auto Parts oddly enough lists the 81 Cadillac Commercial Chassis as a 368 motor with a carb. With that to my amazement, I trusted that the fuel filter I bought is the correct one for my car. It looks like it goes inside a canister, but I can't locate said canister. I have heard that one common problem on these is that the screen on the fuel pickup in the tank gets clogged, so I am planning to drop the tank tomorrow. Any suggestions on that?

Comment

I might be wrong on this one , but i think you will find the fuel filter ware the fuel line connects to the carb. If i am correct when you disconnect the line at the carb the filter will pop right out. Be careful because the spring might go flying out after it.

That's ware it was on my 81 impala . Mohawk Freak would probably no ware it is. If i am wrong just pm him.

Comment

Hrmm, well, if that's the case this filter Advance sold me is WAY too big to go inside that. What should I ask for at the parts store to get the correct one?

Comment

Sounds like they are giving you the filter for the 368 fuel injected 4-6-8 motor. In 81 they did put this motor in Hearses, I almost bought one a few years ago. If u do have the carbed 368, the filter is small about 1-1/2" wide and goes inside the fuel line where it threads into the carb.

Comment

Your best bet would be to remove the old filter and try to match it up at the store. If they do not have it , try another store.

Comment

I did find the filter, and the store swapped it out for me. Seems like if I ask for parts for an 1980 fleetwood they can find the right ones, but if I say 1981 commercial chassis (or fleetwood), they give me parts for the fuel injected motor.

The motor is running much better, but the problem isn't fixed. I can drive it, but it still acts like it's having trouble getting fuel, just not as bad as it was before I replaced the filter. I am replacing the spark plugs and distributor cap today, where do I go from here? New fuel pump? I already found that mounted on the side of the block, looks simple enough.

Comment

Filter

goes in there

Comment

Originally posted by Peyton View Post
                                I did find the filter, and the store swapped it out for me. Seems like if I ask for parts for an 1980 fleetwood they can find the right ones, but if I say 1981 commercial chassis (or fleetwood), they give me parts for the fuel injected motor.

The motor is running much better, but the problem isn't fixed. I can drive it, but it still acts like it's having trouble getting fuel, just not as bad as it was before I replaced the filter. I am replacing the spark plugs and distributor cap today, where do I go from here? New fuel pump? I already found that mounted on the side of the block, looks simple enough.
                                Just noticed you posted this update while i was adding pics. The pump is very easy to replace. Getting the correct one is another problem. For some reason all of the parts stores have something screwed up and will give you a electric pump even though it shows carbed motor as an option. I found that the same mechanical pump for the 368 was used also for a 79 caddy 425 motor according to the part numbers. Don't even bother trying to tell them you have a commercial chassis 81.

The push rod was pressing the lever on my pump when i took mine off. I just barely turned the motor over and that released the pressure from the rod making the pump easier to put back on. Just a quick tip.

Comment

Working...
                                X