Driveshaft/transmission removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driveshaft/transmission removal

I am doing the engine swap in my '62 Superior Caddy.
    The only thing still attached is the driveshaft. The u-joint is press-fit in both the trans yoke and the driveshaft (which runs thru the center frame rail)
    When I pull the engine and tranny together, removing the yoke, am I going to empty the tranny fluid onto the floor as it tips up and out?

Yes. Id imagine you can get a plug from an auto parts store tho.

Although maybe someone else can confirm if the Jetaway transmission and the TH350 are the same spline. If so the standard GM trans plug will ease your clean up...
    Last edited by SmoothNlow; 06-24-2011, 01:48 PM.

Comment

If you have all that work to do anyhow, do yourself a favor and drain the fluid prior. It's well worth it.

Comment

is a 62 chassis an X-Frame? My 57 is. if it is, there is a carrier bearing bolted in the X frame. You're gonna have to do what I did and have someone with tiny arms get in there and do it. The drive shaft should be bolted (not pressed) to the rear end, and with the carrier bearing un-buttoned, it should just come out.

Comment

Yes, it is an "X" frame.

Comment

Anyone have a idea on how to remove the nut between the rear u-joint and plate on a 70

Comment

GM X frames till '64.

Comment

Working...
              X