Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rollers, Pin/hole Plates, Bier Pins, Skid plates...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I used to own a 1912 White. My understanding was the body was a horsedrawn model. In that case the rollers were metal tubes that portuded from a solid wood floor, and were nothing like what I've seen in post WW2 coaches. Good luck on your efforts, and hopefully you'll post pictures of your project. By the way, I've seen some porch lights available at Home Depot and Lowe's, large and fancy enough, that should do nicely to suggest those used on a horsedrawn hearse.

Comment

Yeah we actually found a website that had a really good selection of lanterns/etc. As we needed something that wouldn't rust or was cheap/etc/etc...and they have a handful that fit the bill so to speak.

I too hope I find some rollers...I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

And I will definitely share some pictures in the near future...

Comment

Atti...do you think I should contact that CW Coach place and see what they have or what? You seem to know more about them/etc than I do...so I figured I'd ask.

So far this website is the best thing I've found to get anywhere with this...and my dad is getting anxious/excited (haha) and keeps asking me if I've found anything yet (I told him its going to take a little time that people aren't going to come running at me with rollers/etc, haha)...I think its because we haven't had too much luck yet and this is as close as we've been to finding the stuff. :-)

Comment

CW does not have any Eureka rollers remaining on the shelf. When last there I pulled them all for a Chicago friend. (Not to say Carl hasn't gotten in any Eureka parts cars in the last 11 months.) To the best of my knowledge, CW is still understaffed and vintage parts are not a priority. If you call, yes they have many other rollers in varying conditions, but exercise considerable patience for someone getting back with you. A couple CA people have tried buying vintage parts recently and ended up annoyed when told after waiting that what they're looking for isn't there (when they know in fact those parts are). Carl is a great guy, a brilliant source, and is more than fair pricing. New customers should maintain tempered service expectations - unless there in person.

I have already called around looking for Eureka hardware this week. One friend that does have an '80s Eureka parts car unfortunately has plans for its floor hardware. Zilch in that department. I can however come up with a nice workable full set of floor hardware before my trip north next week (which was delayed due to weather) and probably take them as far as Marietta. When on road pics aren't happening though so it becomes an on-spot judgement call. Too many times I've assumed the risk buying for another in need only to get stuck with parts. Each time I am far less inclined doing so for the next guy.

Comment

While the fancier Eureka style would be ideal for us...however if we can find something else in nice condition we would consider them. Ideally they need to be stainless steel or something (so they don't rust) and not beat to hell and back as some I've seen listed various places. And obviously like the Eureka's they need to be able to be screwed down into the floor.

And yeah I totally understand about you not wanting to get stuck with items for someone/etc. But for us we need to be able to see it before we buy it. As with you with being stuck with parts...we've been given the shaft with items (not necessarily hearse items) in the past...they say they're perfect/etc and they were garbage. While I'm sure you wouldn't do something like that as you seem like a good/honest guy...but still.

Comment

Rollers all screw down. Some are designed to hide mounting hardware. Some of the remaining hardware is pressed in.

None to my knowledge are stainless. They'd be very pricey if so.

Your budget allows for used parts. Used parts are just that...used! Expect wear. Condition is everything and prices reflect that. My set of Eureka hardware shown had multiple scrapes and some light gouges on rearmost rollers (which see heaviest use). Buyer thought he received an outstanding deal and put them right to use in a retrieval conversion. Keep in mind these aren't light to ship and should require 2 boxes (longer bier tracks don't fit well after packing the rest tight). Add more $$$.

Best I can currently offer is texting pics next week from road, which would require an immediate decision.

Comment

Ok...I wasnt sure if there were other variations. And as far as stainless...thats just the first thing that came to mind...as I've seen listings that have said they won't rust/etc...but didn't say what they were made of...so i just assumed stainless.

Oh I know...we're fine with wear and tear...just not totally destroyed and such. The ones you had looked awesome even with the wear and tear. We just don't want some ugly, really beat up, rusted, etc hardware.

And yeah the shipping can be a pain....but in reality if say we found some rollers for $150 or something and shipping on top of that would probably still be a whole lot cheaper than getting them brand new! Thats why I said earlier that I would be willing to pay for shipping potentially or drive a bit to get them.

As far as the texting a picture...I wouldn't have a problem with that...and if I'd be available/at my phone I would definitely let you know right away! I really appreciate all you're doing for us so far...the help has been great!

Comment

Those Eureka ones...those are like chrome coated or something?

Also I should be posting some pictures for those who asked very soon.

We actually do not have our Caisson started yet (we have the carriage body...just not the actual hearse bed and such made)...

Also I will share some pictures of our regular horse drawn hearse that we are almost done with (we already have rollers/etc for it)...

Comment

Ok as I promised here are some pictures.

DSCN4807.jpg Here is the actual carriage body/frame (after it was painted), both hearse styles will use the same frame.

DSCN0889.jpg An early stage picture during the building of the traditional hearse.
                    DSCN0968.jpg A little more done
                    DSCN0971.jpg Close up of some of the trim.
                    DSCN1057.jpg You can see some of the Victorian style door hardware in this picture, also it has a coat of poly on it.
                    DSCN1082.jpg Another picture of if after all the poly has been put on.
                    DSCN1142.jpg After priming
                    DSCN1401.jpg The hearse body off of the actual carriage and after 1 coat of paint.
                    DSCN1422.jpg Back on the carriage body after the painting is complete and the paper off the windows.

I'll have some more soon. Right now we're just working on getting the windows/etc done for it and some other minor things. Then it will be finished. The Caisson Hearse will not take long to make and we already have it planned and ready to go...just have to buy a little bit of wood, get it sealed/painted and put the rollers/etc in once we find some.

Thoughts/opinions welcome! :-)

(not sure how the attached picture got there, instead of showing up here, go figure)
                    Attached Files

Comment

Well damn, that's pretty cool.

Comment

Originally posted by LMS View Post
                        Well damn, that's pretty cool.
                        Thanks! Once we could start seeing how it was going to look/etc we got excited, haha. For a first time I think we did pretty dang good.

Comment

Called Cadillac Heaven and checked availability of floor hardware in '98 Superior.

Initial NHAA thread after visiting here:

Light smoke damage on a couple rollers that should polish off. Other than that he says they're very nice. For 8 rollers, 4 bier tracks, and 4 runners he wants $450.

Comment

Awesome info! I'll definitely contact them and let my dad know and see what he says (cost/etc).

Keep the great info coming guys!

Comment

Hey Atti...I got a question for you...

That 98 that you referred me to (along with I think a 91 that I'm talking to someone from Craigslist about)...on the pin plates and skid bars...they do not have screw holes in them (like the rollers) to mount them...

Could you possibly shed some light on this as far as how they mount? Can they be drilled to put screws in them? Any info you (or someone else) might know would be great.

Comment

Refer back to first portion of post #21 in case you missed it, which is accurate. If you need broken down further:

Bier tracks (what you refer to as skid plates) usually have 2 screws per piece from two of the lowest points in the casting, below where bier bin slide in. These are easily covered by the smallest amount of debris and often missed. Without locating/removing these screws (unless floor is heavily rotted which doesn't happen often in center), bier tracks will bend/crack/break when force is applied.

Runners (what you refer to as skid bars) are pressure fit. Two cylindrical cast pins drop from each. Floor is drilled before they're tapped in with a mallet. Prying up isn't too bad but care should be taken not to mar them while trying to fit a tool underneath.

Don't count on drilling any of this potmetal hardware successfully.

Comment

Working...
                                X