How do you insure your Hearse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you insure your Hearse

I was just curious if you told your insurance person it is a "hearse" and if that will make it more expensive or possibly cheaper or the same as a regular car. Just wondering when I call to get it put on mine, if I just say its a 84 Cadillac fleetwood and leave it at that, or better off adding the fact it is a hearse. I understand that if something were to happen to it they would then look at is as a regular fletwood i guess, Well basically what Im tryin to see is if you guys pay more for insurance on a hearse than a regular car. Thanks

I told them mine was a hearse, and there was no problem with that. some insurance companies will mark it as a classic car and give restrictions on how many miles it can be driven in a year. just make sure to get GLASS COVERAGE incase of vandals or what ever. I pay 300.00 dollars for a whole year full coverage. 100.00 comp/collision/towing/plus glass..the nice thing I found with my company is that if ANYTHING happens to the car in a wreck ,they won't dick around with the price they give me they will cut a check for 6,000 dollars with no hassles. the longer I keep the car in good shape they raise the value of it.for a higher pay out later.. just call around classic car insur.or regular and check the differences, to see what works best for your needs

Comment

with the way insurance co try to get out of everything if you do not tell them what they are covering you might get messed up if they need to cover something ... i had mine with statefarm for years but they kept listing my 76 as a limo and always asking for millage updates just on that one i guess thinking i was using is as such.. who knows? but i went with geico and saved 15% well better then that but all are listed as fleetwood hearse now

Comment

Originally posted by cean View Post
        I told them mine was a hearse, and there was no problem with that. some insurance companies will mark it as a classic car and give restrictions on how many miles it can be driven in a year. just make sure to get GLASS COVERAGE incase of vandals or what ever. I pay 300.00 dollars for a whole year full coverage. 100.00 comp/collision/towing/plus glass..the nice thing I found with my company is that if ANYTHING happens to the car in a wreck ,they won't dick around with the price they give me they will cut a check for 6,000 dollars with no hassles. the longer I keep the car in good shape they raise the value of it.for a higher pay out later.. just call around classic car insur.or regular and check the differences, to see what works best for your needs
        who you with?

Comment

We have State farm, and they know it is a hearse, and that it is a weekend car that we don't drive much.

Comment

Originally posted by Dropped84 View Post
            I was just curious if you told your insurance person it is a "hearse" and if that will make it more expensive or possibly cheaper or the same as a regular car. Just wondering when I call to get it put on mine, if I just say its a 84 Cadillac fleetwood and leave it at that, or better off adding the fact it is a hearse. I understand that if something were to happen to it they would then look at is as a regular fletwood i guess, Well basically what Im tryin to see is if you guys pay more for insurance on a hearse than a regular car. Thanks
            It doesn't do any good to lie to the insurance company about it NOT being a hearse... when you give them the VIN # it will have a "Z" in it. The "Z" means it was an incomplete car from the factory, so they'll immediately ask you if it's a hearse anyway. I'm in Ohio too so let me know if you have problems insuring yours, my Allstate agent has no problems insuring mine & a full coverage add-on policy (along with my other vehicles) is less than $150 for 6 months for the hearse... and they cover the glass & everything else, and even said if I wanted Accubuilt to do repairs they won't kick it back on a claim.
            If your coach was built originally by a lesser-known coachbuilder, they were forced to buy a Fleetwood from a GM dealer... then convert it to a coach. GM didn't make the "commercial chassis" available to all coachbuilders. Those will be the only coaches in your era that don't have a "Z" in the VIN #
            Last edited by hotroddwayne; 02-27-2010, 06:57 PM.

Comment

Luckily our Lincolns VIN still tells the insurance folks it's still a Towncar! We use Farm Bureau and add it on with three other cars.

Comment

I've used State Farm for mine for over 15 years, and they have no problem with it being a hearse at all. I just changed mine to classic, and bumped the coverage (with no deductibles) to $20K, and it's only like $13 a month. Yep, don't lie to them, remember whole the reason you have insurance, is so if you ever need it they will cover you. If you lie and they don't cover you, then you just wasted all that money.

Comment

we have both our hearses insured with Hagerty (www.hagerty.com). we have a few collector cars already, and since our hearses are not driven daily and only go out for cruise nights and stuff we added them to the policy. they know they are hearses, and the rates are solely based on "agreed value" so no jacked up rates or anything. i think we have each of them insured for $5000 agreed value, and we pay about $75 a year if that helps...

Comment

don't lie to them, remember whole the reason you have insurance, is so if you ever need it they will cover you. If you lie and they don't cover you, then you just wasted all that money.
                    That is a very good point. What if you guys who don't tell them it's a hearse get into a bad accident that's your fault and the insurance declines payments because you lied to them about what it was???
                    You could be in for a serious lawsuit.

Comment

I had my body shop for about 10 years and dealing with the insurance companys, dont give them any reason like not telling what it is because they will use every chance they can to not pay you what you need or want. I also agree you should look into specialty car insurance Like hagertyEct. They are great to deal with. I just had to fix a nose on a superbird and it was insured thu a late model insurance company, and it was not good what so ever they treated like a new mini van or something not like the 150+ k car that it was. Dont wait to find out when it is to late.

Comment

Thanks for all your input. Thats what I kinda figured just to tell them off the bat, but then my luck they say its some kind of "special" insurance and cost more, the only reason I even thought to say other wise cause Ill have to look again, but I beileve the title is make- caddy model- fleetwood, etc, dont think there was anything on the title stating its a hearse, I could be wrong havent looked at it in awhile. But I understand what you all are saying and Ill just let them know, just thought Id ask before I make a mistake I didnt know about, Thanks again

Comment

Well I had the tittle switched from Hearse to 4 door station wagon. Dont ask dont tell is my theory. I had full coverage on my Hearse 5 years ago when it got hit and it was listed as a 4 door station wagon and the insurance company didnt say anything. Now the only bad luck I had is when I bought my 96 Superior and no matter where I went they said I had to get it listed under commercial insurance,

Comment

I too, have mine licensed as a station wagon/hearse. This was the only way to get it so I didn't have to pay for commercial reg and insurance. The DMV had no problem doing it this way, since they could clearly see it was not for commercial use any longer. I just had to sign a little piece paper saying so.

Comment

Im in Michigan they dont give a fuck as long as you are given them money.

Comment

Working...
                              X