Possibly a future hearse owner...but need opinons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possibly a future hearse owner...but need opinons

Hi there, so I have had this "dream car" in mind for the longest time and now that I have some money and time I though now I should invest in a hearse. I been looking for a 50s-early 60s hearse (before the angular design came) and been wanting to make a ratrod or "rotrod" to take to car shows and to the haunted house I work at and such. Well I found a '62 Cadillac M-M Hearse but I have some pros and cons...here are the pros: within my price range, it's the body style I been looking for, it only has surface rust and engine runs...cons on the other hand; the back window is missing (curved glass....bitch to replace), its a 3 way hearse BUT the electric table is gone, the owner says there is some transmission issues and the big one is I live in Connecticut and he is in New Mexico. Just wondering what I should do next and if the transmission and back glass issue is just a money pit waiting to happen; I'm only 20 btw but I'm not new to the classic car realm...just the hearse realm.

I will post some pictures soon.

Thanks!

First off, welcome to the NHAA.

That coach was brought up recently on this forum. ANY old hearse will (at least initially) be a money pit - consider it the price of ownership.

For open transport, call Martin. He provides the best prices repeatedly and travels all over the US.

Martin Rousseau

I may have that back glass actually. It is from a '63 MM. Superior back glass, for example, remains the same from '59-'64. MM had an interior design change in '63 and it is possible that '63-'64 rear glass is different than what was used '59-'62, but doubtful. I've posed this question before and nobody has provided a definitive answer. All that it takes is a measurement...

Said glass is not a "bitch to replace" either. Unless you're referring to locating and not actually installing.

Comment

Atti, thank you for solving both my glass and transportation issue! And when I said getting curved glass is a bitch I meant locating...installing is no problem. My primary concern now is that transmission issue.

Comment

The stock transmission was a 4-speed jetaway. What exactly is wrong with it? They are heavy and good for leaking. I have sources for transmission rebuild kits that are pretty inexpensive if you want to go that route. If it were me, I'd get an adapter kit, starter, have the trans mount and driveshaft modified to fit a turbo 400 or 700r4.

Comment

Rule #1 when owning a hearse. Dont let it know you have extra money to throw around, or any money at all. They can sense it I shit you not. All hearses require money and attention. They are worst than kids!!!!!!! Not to scare you off but just saying.

Comment

$1700 transport quote for 2200+ miles is a solid.

Another thought - 39k original mile running & driving '64 Superior for sale in Franklin Park, NJ.

No price listed. Search Kevin Storan on FB. I can't find a direct link to is profile. Might not be a landau but it is considerably closer with fewer issues.

Comment

Spastic, the owner said he has issues with shifting, it is an automatic but he had to drop it into its lower gears to get it to start moving; It all depends on how severe it really is and I can only judge that in person looking at the trans...but I will probably go with the adapter idea in the end. Haha and corpses bride I totally understand the money thing........I believe every "So you want to buy a hearse" article has that as rule #1 that I've seen. Atti, as tempting as that offer is, I really want a Landau...and IMO I think way too much of a wagon instead of a hearse (once again that was my own opinion haha I'm new to NHAA and don't want to get bansished making a statement offending a Superior owner) The ONLY thing that will have me sold on that NM hearse, is if SOMEONE who either owns a classic car or hearse could go and check it out for me and come back with a report....oh and of course I would pay if someone was to make the trip. I already tried searching mechanics near Gallup and only got service stations.

Comment

@ Taylor, hi neighbor! I'm only up in Willington. I can direct you to a buddy of mine who should have a good trans if you need one. I'm from Manchester originally so Glastonbury is my old home turf. The neighbors are gonna love you! Feel free to PM me if you need any help. As you are aware, hearse owners are few and far between around here.

Comment

Mohawk that's great to have someone close by! Oh and I already get glares with my support zombie bumper stickers on my daily driver car in Glastonbury so I'll be laughing at the reactions I get with the hearse...won't be surprised if cops come knocking on my door with citizen complaints!

Comment

They're gonna run your ass out of town with a hearse. That's good, they need a little break from the routine there.

Comment

be ready to get pulled over alot to. I have had the cops try to impound mine on made up charges. Just be prepared.

Comment

Hay Mohawk , know that i think about it --- there used to be a kid about 6 or 7 years ago that used to drive a 70 hearse (blue) up in Southwhick . I think he lived somewere on the Con. border. Thats a long time ago tho. Just popt in my head.

Comment

You are the only other guy I know with a hearse in these parts. My spotters have reported one just up the road in Eastford/Ashford area, but I've yet to see it and I'm out there a lot.

Comment

I would be interested to hear the charges against me...infringing an active hearse.

Comment

An active hearse? Are you a funeral director?

Comment

Working...
                              X