No announcement yet.

New guy with 1964 Cad Hearse in Alaska

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i think im going to run the original rear axle, thing seems to drive good with the wood block under the frame between the axle where the leafs are snapped apart. still havent measured them, i really want to make this a driver sometime this summer! working on rebuilding the carb soon, and replacing all the rubber in cooling system and most gaskets as well as belts, and checking radiator for leaks.

got it in my barn now, just need to get that a$$ end up on some rail road ties so i can pull that axle. or work on the drivers spring swap. passanger is gonna need r&r too

brakes work, but hardly. im going to try to replace most the steel line and take the drums off to inspect what needs to be done. maybe swap discs onto the the back. what ever ends up being cheaper.

Comment

I picked up a 63 Superior, and am going to either resell it, or part it out. Its an Arizona car, so the leaf springs are probaby gooing to be good. Its going to be 2-3 weeks before I lay claim to it.

Comment

dont think i wanna pay shipping on them! will be using truck springs i got laying around here.

Comment

was working on the hearse tonight and noticed the black paint peeling in some places, and looks like silver metallic paint underneeth! i dont think it was originally black! anyone seen a silver hearse before?

Comment

Have you looked deep door jambs or behind interior panels to see if there is a color difference?
            My coach is currently pink (bought it that way) But I have lime green in the door jambs and white in the harder to reach places like under trim and behind my door panels.
            My guess is your Commercial chassis was one color (black?) and the finished coach was possibly another

Comment

Originally posted by Jus" Roach View Post
              Have you looked deep door jambs or behind interior panels to see if there is a color difference?
              My coach is currently pink (bought it that way) But I have lime green in the door jambs and white in the harder to reach places like under trim and behind my door panels.
              My guess is your Commercial chassis was one color (black?) and the finished coach was possibly another
              ya it looks like under some of the extrior pillar rear trim is silver, i wonder if they used a silver looking primer.

Comment

IF Anyones interested i got the leaf springs out, and they use a 5/8" spring bolt, they are 56.5" eye to eye and the center pin is 25.5" from front eye.

Comment

found what i think will fit pretty close anyhow

73-91 GM 1 Ton Extra Heavy Duty Rear Leaf Spring
                  [

# Leaves: 10 (9/1)
                  Load: 4,650
                  Pack Thickness: 4-3/8
                  Measurements: 2-1/2 Wide 26x30

Comment

i pulled my fuel tank out also, there some pinholes in the bottom of it. amyone repaired these? liner or jbwelded? or does this tank also come out of a more common vehicle?

Comment

They may fit, but I would think 3 times about using 1 ton springs. I had 4 and still have One. Empty will beat Ya to death on a bad road. The car and truck will weigh about the same. Now put about 3000-4000 lbs. in the back and it smooths out. Kinda hard in a car.

Comment

Originally posted by chestypuller View Post
                        i pulled my fuel tank out also, there some pinholes in the bottom of it. amyone repaired these? liner or jbwelded? or does this tank also come out of a more common vehicle?
                        I have never had one repaired but it can be done. The gas tank in that car is the same one used in the standard 1958 cadillac. That might be a bit tricky to find also but it gives you another option. The 58 is to my understanding the only 50's cad not being reproduced so repair might be easier.

Comment

That gas tank is basically just help up by 2 L angle brackets. With that said, you could easily mount any gas tank, as long as the filler neck was close.

Comment

Ya that looks like pretty straight forward tank mounting. maybe put in a plastic fuel cell or something. i think i may try jbweld cover the pinholes in the bottom of the tank, or i will check into see if theres anything made by jb to repair fuel tanks i believe there was. but cant remember, there is some stuff sold for tanks called kreeme that i hear people have had good results with on old 3 wheeler tanks.

the one ton springs should be just fine, i will adjust them by taking out leaves if i have to, but the stock hearse spring pack is 9 leaves and so is the one ton pack so i think it might be a perfect fit.

Comment

I was able to use a 1990 Dodge Caravan fuel tank in my '62. The filler hole is only a couple inches different.

Comment

I Will keep and eye out for one, think i need a new starter. things just clickin now.

Comment

Working...
                                X