No announcement yet.

New guy with 1964 Cad Hearse in Alaska

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Things on here seemed to have slown up. Not around My place. Have You seem My video. Drives good in Park. Break time now, the grass is growing and gonna try to make the Katrina tractors survive One more season, but They aren't cooperating.

Comment

Originally posted by travlinman View Post
      Things on here seemed to have slown up. Not around My place. Have You seem My video. Drives good in Park. Break time now, the grass is growing and gonna try to make the Katrina tractors survive One more season, but They aren't cooperating.
      im kinda dumb when it comes to internet, can you point me in the direction to get to your videos?

Comment

Ooh, your baby's beautiful. I love the pattern in the seats and door panels. Mine's the same but green and white. Going to stalk you now.

Comment

One way is click on My name and view latest post There is a link on the 2nd page Selena did, because I couldn't get it here Myself. Under it's in kinda. Making progress but other projects have popped up, so kinda on hold for a bit.

Comment

couldnt find my tape but got a pic of my brokem leaf spring, the more i read about the broken leafs the more i think i need to make a stronger leaf pack for the hearse, or go with some king of assist bag.

P031812_1503[01].jpgP031812_1503[02].jpgP031812_1503[03].jpgP031812_1504.jpg

hearsebustedspring.jpg

Comment

Its the corrosion that causes metal fatigue. Those damn plastic noise sapressors between the springs holds the water in.

Comment

Originally posted by pyro View Post
                Its the corrosion that causes metal fatigue. Those damn plastic noise sapressors between the springs holds the water in.
                any idea what the specs are on the springs, like how many lb rating, length from eye to eye? and width of springs? maybe the spring eye hole sizes would be good too, and the distance from perch hole from front eye and diameter of that hole also.

if i had this info it would be a great help. i got so much snow around the hearse now im having a hard time getting to it.

Comment

The shop that built mine did not save the info.

Comment

Hey Chesty,
                    We're probably the closest hearse club to you! We're the Western Canada Hearse Club and our biggest chapter is the Edmonton Bone-wagon Association. We do have a member that lives up in the Yukon...

Comment

the yukon! hehe still to far for me, with these crazy gas prices heck its almost as bad as yukon around here.

Im the president of the Alaska Hearse Club, and the only member. unless you count my family members.

Anyhow good news today, put a couple gallons of fuel in it and it started up. the ODO says 77000 miles

put it in gear and drove it off the trailer, goes both backwards and forwards.

lots of squeekin with the broken leaf spring. i can imagine the tires rubbin on all sorts of stuff.. i believe both sides are broke, but the drivers side is completely broke all the way thru all the springs.

also missing parts of the heated choke, prettymuch the coil for it and the cover it looks like.

with its 1 wheel drive (2wd with a open differential) its stuck on my driveway with one tire spining! hehe gonna get the kitty litter out.

measured a broken piece of leaf and they are 2.5" wide like a gm so now i just need to get a tape measure to get the other measurments and i will be ready to find some pickup ones that will work or van or suv and we should be good. gonna get some that give it a little hot rod rake too.
                      Last edited by chestypuller; 03-23-2012, 09:37 PM.

Comment

good news again today! was messing around in the hearse and found a compartment under the floor in the back accessable by the rear drivers side door, and looked in there and them covers for the wheel wells are in there and in good shape too! good thing they took them off or they would probably be rusted.

Comment

dang things stuck in reverse, it is the jetaway, now neutral and reverse are both reverse! im not sure what the deal is. l l1 l2 dont do anything. was working good earlier. anyone know what type atf these take?

Comment

Any Dexron variant will be adequate. This particular transmission was designed to work with the early stuff that still employed whale oil as a friction modifier. The subsequent dexron series from GM are backwards compatible to any previous transmissions but the older dexron specifications are not compatible with their current line of automatic transmissions. That last part I didn't know until I was poking around on the differences between the dexron specs. I found this:

Discover hacks, tips and tricks to help you solve any problem in your home, repurpose used items and more.

Comment

Originally posted by Dickey View Post
                              Any Dexron variant will be adequate. This particular transmission was designed to work with the early stuff that still employed whale oil as a friction modifier. The subsequent dexron series from GM are backwards compatible to any previous transmissions but the older dexron specifications are not compatible with their current line of automatic transmissions. That last part I didn't know until I was poking around on the differences between the dexron specs. I found this:

http://www.ehow.com/list_7402226_sub...ion-fluid.html
                              well the dang things working again, im thinking the fluids gonna need a changing, looks great tho and smells good too. maybe things are just sticky from sittin, might run it thru the gears when i get a leave spring in and some coolant hoses that dont leak. then i will dump it and put a new filter and fluid and and go from there.

wonder if i shoudl get some brake fluid to flush out the trans, i dont know if i should risk it, with that stuff.. ive done it before and it fixed a sticky valve body tho.

where you guys getting yoru new hoses and belts and parts at for these old beasts?

Comment

Typically the first problem you'll notice with a jetaway (hydra-matic) is the 2-3 shift is either very harsh or allows the engine to rev up before engaging third gear. This is a feature of poorly adjusted bands inside the transmission. You'll likely find this thread very interesting (as is the rest of the forum);

OK. I have done searches and read up on Olds rocket motors and Hydramatics, but I havent...

Also, the Rolls Royce guys have a fair amount of knowledge on the matter since RR used GM's transmission well into the late 60's.

I bought a universal radiator hose with the spring to replace my upper and lower hoses on my 390. As I recall, I requested an upper and lower hose, two different length universal hoses were displayed and I just bought two of the longer ones because I didn't see how the shorter one would work properly. I've not had any issue out of mine yet but I only drive it around the yard when necessary. My water pump was ordered off of ebay but it actually came from a company called Kanter. They are a source for a lot of classic Cadillac parts.

Comment

Working...
                                X