Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to replace your windshield with lexan

So in case you can't find some glass, here's what you can do

step one - start removing the trim. This requires a special tool.

you can see some of the molding clips rusted into nothing

Side molding removed

cutting the windshield out requires special knives. rather than buy those, i just made my own from some old kitchen knives. it's amazing what you can do with some propane torches and pliers.

windshield is out. luckily i didn't shatter it nor destroy the vehicle in the process

this is kind of a crappy picture, but it is the windshield sitting on some lawn chairs

here is a closeup of the crack that spread out. and before you ask why i didn't have it fixed, it came with the car and was already too large to fix. it only started spreading out this winter.

here is making a template from the old windshield

masking off the inside to deal with some rust issues

closeup of some of the rust

lexan in place

securing it with screws and plastic washers.

removing the backing

lexan installed & secured

installing the trim

all finished

Is there an anti scratch coating?

Comment

Yep, that's just how I did mine.

Nice "how to". and the pics are great.

Mine lasted 10+ years (till I finally found a new glass one). About every 2 years, I ran a buffer with some polishing compound over it, to get out the light scratches (just from washings, etc,). I never ran my wipers on it though, so I'm curious how that new anti scratch type will work for that.

Comment

this is supposedly a sheet of marguard. unfortunately, i scratched it up pretty bad getting it home. otherwise this project would've come out almost perfectly. you can see the scratch near the top in the center.

i went with 1/8" at the advise of the vendor. That of course ended up being a little too thin, so it bounces somewhat going down the road. I will probably replace it with 3/16 or 1/4" in a few months, now that i know the process and how easily it scratches.

Comment

The vender steered You wrong, 3/16 was the way to go. Good for over 150mph in My old firebird. You right, now that You done it once, will be easy to upgrade. You will even have a good pattern with the thin one. Nice job.

Comment

You can buff those scratches out if you want too.

Mine was 3/16", and worked prefect. I installed mine with butyl tape (a windshield sealer) before I screwed it all down, and never had a leak either.

Comment

I'll look further into this for mine.. How much does lexan usually run?

Comment

i guess it may depend on your vendor, but it spent about $230 for a 4x8 sheet.

Comment

I bought the piece for my windshield for about $100 at the local distributor here in town. I asked for a large scrap or miscut piece that would fit my dimensions, and they found one and sold it to me by the pound instead. (mine was not the new anti scratch stuff though.)

Comment

does it pass safety inspection?

Comment

I have no idea, we don't have those here, lol. (a very good question though).

Unless you tap on it though, you can't tell the difference. It truly looks like glass.

Comment

well i can't seem to get my rear view mirror to stick to the lexan. any suggestions? am i going to have to make some kind of mounting bracket that attaches to the roof?

Comment

That adhesive needs to be applied to a cool to the touch windshield.

Comment

It won't really stick very well to the lexan. There are some 2 sided tapes that will though. I'd mount it to the roof brace myself. Besides, the mirror is fairly heavy, and your lexan is not really thick enough to keep it from wobbling.

Comment

Originally posted by Baker View Post
                              does it pass safety inspection?
                              Are you moving to STL or something?? They don't do safety inspections in IL.

Comment

Working...
                              X