No announcement yet.

how to replace your windshield with lexan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yeah i think this will be a project for after dragon con.

Comment

tried to salvage some glass today. didn't go well.

Comment

so i have an appointment scheduled with safelite for thursday. this should be good.

Comment

ok, so this isn't going well. Safelite won't install the windshield because it has lexan on there now. They are at least supposed to sell me the glass, so they will come out and drop it off. hopefully it will be the correct part, at least.

Comment

so i have the glass in the back of the coach. now i just need to deal with a body shop to install.

Comment

Does that mean it has been measured and is the correct size?

Comment

it is the correct size. i spent a couple hours after work pulling off the lexan, cleaning up the trim and the window frame. There was some surface rust i sanded down and treated. i've probably got about another hour's worth of work to finish cleaning up and then tar over the screw holes.

but yeah, the guy *really* pissed me off because of how he was all shocked and horrified about the lexan and that i had screwed it into the window frame. he didn't really want to listen when i tried to tell him it wasn't a big deal.

so hopefully i'll get everything cleaned up in a bit and then my expenditure at the body shop will be minimal. i may just drive her to the shop sans windshield. or i may just tac the lexan back into place for the trip.

Comment

apparent, it is *NOT* the correct size. The quick measurements apparently were not accurate.

I'll let Mrs. White explain my feelings:

Comment

Is it the DW881? Our coaches should use the same windshield, although I have heard horror stories of some oddball Eureka glass.

Comment

no, they came out with some non-DW881. I thought it might have been some equivalent, but no. I called them back this morning, and they said they, nor any of their vendors have DW881 available. So then why did the phone tech tell me they *did* have it available when i clearly asked for it by part number, and she called the shop to confirm?/?/?

the mind boggles.

turns out it is pilkington *classics* not normal pilkington's that has the DW881.

Comment

Update - so i was able to take the windshield back to safelite's decatur shop for a full refund, including the $25 travel fee since i had to take it back myself. So that part is nice, at least.

So what i'm still wondering is why the initial phone tech told me they had DW 881, when clearly, they didn't. My guess is that she completely ignored me on the part number and just asked the shop by make and model.

time to send a strongly worded letter to safelite.

Comment

Update:

windshield from pilkington classics is in. Tentative install tomorrow afternoon. Here is the price breakdown for a DW 881 installation:

glass: $270
                          shipping: $110
                          tax: $24.50
                          labor: $75

total: $479.50

Comment

So the glass install went down today. Trouble is, the trim clips i had were the wrong ones. to make matters worse, i had a new, unopened set of the *correct* trim clips in my toolbox in the shed. >.<

so the guy has to come back again tomorrow. hopefully he'll be able to swap the clips out and install the trim with no issues.

Comment

Originally posted by ryan_ricks View Post
                              Update:

windshield from pilkington classics is in. Tentative install tomorrow afternoon. Here is the price breakdown for a DW 881 installation:

glass: $270
                              shipping: $110
                              tax: $24.50
                              labor: $75

total: $479.50
                              That's actually not bad, that's about what it would cost to get a new windshield [not CC] put in a lot of 80s era cars.

Comment

by contrast, if it took the normal 85 caddy windshield, i could've had the *whole* project done for about $270 from safelite.

Comment

Working...
                                X