how to replace your windshield with lexan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by spastic_chicken View Post
    Are you moving to STL or something?? They don't do safety inspections in IL.
    Well then there ya go lol

Comment

Cool how to! Im not sure if you know this but there is a furry rat lurking around your template. How easily can it be cut and with what.

Comment

Cuts really easy with a jig saw or rotozip.

Comment

i used an angle grinder with a cut-off wheel

Comment

Originally posted by corpses bride View Post
            Im not sure if you know this but there is a furry rat lurking around your template.
            that is my cat. she is all up ons.

like this:

and this:

usually i have to lock her up on the front porch to get any work done

Comment

Originally posted by ryan_ricks View Post
              i used an angle grinder with a cut-off wheel
              That works good too.

Comment

So what happens if your template (old windshield) breaks when you take it out? And as far as weatherproofing the new one, did you use calking again?

Comment

interesting point, chances are mine is coming out in pieces.. Ever seen a picture of a series of lightning bolts? yep that is Edgar's

Comment

Mine glass was totally shattered, but after cutting out all the old sealer, it came out in one big floppy piece. Then I put it on the ground and stomped on it a bunch of times, to flatten it out. Then I carefully placed it on top of my polycarbonate and traced it for the template.

Windshield urethane is the best sealer.

Comment

I am also interested in knowing whether or not windshield wipers can be used with the scratch-coated Lexan.

-d

Comment

To everyone that wanted to know "You can use wipers on Lexan; just make sure that the windshield is wet before you turn them on. The material sheds water naturally, eliminating the need to use products like Rain-X for the most part. If you must use it on yours, use very small amounts, follow the instructions on the bottle exactly and do it on a cooler day (65-70 degrees) out of direct sunlight." from http://www.darkhorseracing.net/safer_at_any_speed.htm so they say anyway

Comment

yeah i ran my wipers on the lexan briefly and it seemed to be okay. one of these days i will replace it with a thicker sheet.

Comment

Well, I did spend the money on a glass windscreen, which is probably good, because my wipers come on all by themselves sometimes, rain or shine, and the sand that we have in the air here would probably destroy Lexan if they ran dry. I've replaced the wiper switch, so I'm beginning to wonder if she's haunted.

-d

Comment

Alil off topic but if the wipers keep going might have a short in the motor or in a wire you said you where good with wire stuff so prob not that but could poke around anyway

Comment

Merci pour tes mots, and I will run down this problem someday. There are just too many other things to do. I took the hearse through emissions testing so I can get the tags renewed, replaced the battery in my Chrysler, and did an inspection on the Piper, so I can take a music business client flying tomorrow (if the weather holds up). The wipers on the Chrysler don't work at all...evidently they went to some sort of frangible nylon bushing that I need to fabricate a metal replacement for, or whatever it takes, and...well, I guess I blew having the transom boot replaced on the boat. Water skiing will have to wait for next year. I still need to clean up the house and do the yard work post-monsoon...and I'm supposed to be recovering from a back injury, although I can honestly say that I'm almost walking upright, and I'm off of the Percocet now (encore une fois, encore une fois).

I've got about two more weeks, and then I'm off on the road driving a semi again, trying to pay for all of this shit that I'm repairing, but don't have time to use, and this house that the Obamastad government won't allow us to sell. It would help if people would quit running into us with other trucks, quit trying to kill us, quit trying to kill themselves...drive sensibly. It's a pipe dream, but it would be nice. Pipe dreams are always nice, until somebody takes the opium away...one of life's lessons learned the hard way.

But, that's all the hell I bring on myself, I guess. Maybe I think that if I branch out in enough directions and learn enough about life, sooner or later I'm going to figure out how to make a living and be happy at the same time, a luxury which ended for me in 1987, but that's ancient history.

To get really off-topic, Lao Tzu once said, "He who is discontented should demand more from himself". Et d'apres moi, c'est un de ces conneries....that is, to say, once you start demanding more from yourself, you never stop. That's not your "tao" (path) to happiness. It's more like the road to insanity. The only way off of that road, for me, would be to start smoking dope again, and, grace à le goubernement, I can't do that. I was piss tested four times in my first three months of professional driving, and they would have had no sense of humor had they found any metabolites of delta-9-tetrahydracannabinol. Once I make enough money to quit being thrown around like a Raggedy Anne doll in a truck, I'm done caring about any piss tests, though. I intend to stay stoned and happy in my old age...and maybe fix my fucking wipers, on all my cars.

If you can, find the simple things in life, have time to fix your cars, and be happy. Don't learn anything that you don't really need to know, like, for instance, what the fuck I mean when I say, "T'a bien reçu? T'a bien compri?" Because the fact is that most of you fuckers here are actually smarter than I am.

-d

Comment

Working...
                                X